Alienware (Area-51 m15x)

I’m a industrial design student looking to run adobe suite and 3d modeling programs on a laptop. I have questions on the following…

Display: 15.4" WideXGA+ 1440 x 900 LCD (720p) with Clearview Technology

Graphics Card: 256MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8600M GT

Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T7100 1.8GHz (2MB Cache 800MHz FSB)

These are the base listing for the laptop, should I go higher on these, how much more do I need to add to the display, graphics card, processor

thanks

It’s worth seeing if you can’t get a higher res display. More res is always better. I know they have 15" displays that will do 1920x1200 which might be overkill for your mom and her email, but for icon intensive apps its awesome.

The vid card should be fine, and the processor is OK but it’s one of the lowest end core Duo’s by todays standards.

With those specs I wonder why not just get a Dell? Alienwares tend to have a premium and if you aren’t getting one of their ridiculously spec’ed machines you might be able to save a lot of money on the same computer.

Check out www.gotapex.com for good deals on Dell laptops (updated daily)

If you have about $2800 to $3200 to spend, buy a Macbook Pro.
It will be one of the best ways to go for 3D apps and rendering speed.

With Alienware and even mac you are paying alot of money for the brand name. For example i built my pc for 1000pounds, the same spec Alien ware PC at the time when i was looking was at least £600 more expensive

Always check the compatibility of the graphics card with the 3D software you are going to use – GFORCE won’t work with everything.