Alias Studiotools

Is this a good product?industrial design software?

Is the pope catholic?

YES!!

I don’t personally use it, but yeah, it’s a great design package. Weird marker menus though. Very powerful and is one of the “Big 5.” That’s term I’ve come up with for Alias, Solidworks, Pro/E/Wildfire, Rhino and Think3D. Unigraphics is also in the mix but it’s just so darn expensive.

Am I forgetting any of the other big-hitters?

Thank you for your reply. Tried to find out a few times what the softwares were and was not getting any straight answers.

yeah, I can see why it would be hard to get a straight answer from people. Personal preference for CAD software is like religious beliefs!! People take is seriously.

I’d suggest not becoming a jack of all trades and attempting to learn all of the programs. Pick one or two of the “Big 5” and get darn good. That’s all you need. Do some research into the segment of industrial design you’re mostly interested in to figure out what the popular software is. As sure as the sun will come up, you’ll end up seeing a posting for a job that you’d love to have, yet they’ll want experience using the CAD program you don’t know. That’s just how it goes. If you’re good enough and have a great portfolio, it won’t matter, as they’ll train you.

I’d suggest not becoming a jack of all trades and attempting to learn all of the programs. Pick one or two of the “Big 5” and get darn good.

This is great advice. CAD is a tool and fundamentally you can achieve the same ends with every CAD package out there.

Although, I have to question the inclusion of Think3D as one of the “Big Ones”.

The only reason I included Think3D is that I’d already typed “Big 5” in my post, but then I ran out of CAD packages to list!! ha ha. Didn’t want to go back and change it.

I’ve never even used Think!

better to use the software that companies use so you can get or keep a job. Think3 is not being used in very many facilites.

In my exceedingly limited experience I would recommend Rhino over Alias. Its a lot more intuitive and only a little less powerful. You have so much control in Alias its pretty daunting to get comfortable with. Oh and it seems a lot more companies use rhino than alias, but thats based on my own very limited experience.