ALIAS STUDIOTOOLS vs RHINO

hey guys.

need all of your professional opinions NOW. hahaha.

i’m currently looking to purchase either Studiotools or Rhino for the ID team.

Which product would you recommend?

in terms of cost and quality, I’m sure Studiotools is a more powerful programme.
However, i’ve heard of companies working fine on Rhino.

Whats the difference and, ultimately, which product will give me the best bang for the buck at the end of the day?

Thanks!

Looking forward to get feedback for you all.

Bang for the buck is Rhino hands down

…used alias for about 7 years and have used rhino for the past 5…bang for the buck?..rhino…however, you may find the renderer, flamingo, wanting in speed for the hi-rez eye candy images (for me it has never been a problem)…rhino doesn’t keep a history like alias does, so i usually save the file in stages, every hour or so or before i do a lot of filletting etc. (some ops eliminate history in alias anyway, so saving often can be a life-saver no matter which software you use)…

Rhino or Solidworks for production to fabrication.
Alias, like Max is more for “wow factor” for photo-realistic renderings.
You can still render your models with Rhino and Solidworks.

Alias StudioTools is a far better package if you can afford it. Rhino is like a toy compared to Alias/

word on the street is that Rhino version 4.0 is incorporating Brazil raytracer from Splutterfish (www.splutterfish.com)…extremely powerful raytracer, in my opinion better than what Alias offers.

You’re just going to get a bunch of people playing favorites and telling you to use whatever software they use unless you give a little more information about what you’re looking for.

How do you plan to use the software? Will you be tooling from the surface data you create or do you just need a fast modeler to crank out lots of concepts? What types of products/things do you design? Do you want to create renderings for presentation? Renderings for marketing materials? Do you need the data to be usable by a specific engineering program later? Does anyone on your team have any surface modeling experience?

Providing more specific info may yield more specific feedback.

Otherwise, I’m happy to recommend Alias Studio, as I have been using it for five years and it’s the coolest and blah blah blah. :slight_smile:

hey all.

thanks for your replies.

i DO use solidworks. well, that was what i was trained in when i was in university.
however i find that creating complex surfaces are just a pure bitch when it comes to hvaing to model them in solidworks even if i’m using surfaces.

rendering is allright but i didn’t really get a chance to work THAT much on photoworks.

am just looking for an industry standard at this point just so that i will know a good benchmark software that is commmonly used in the field of ID.

any more insights into the which software i should use?

am really new to all this so all your advice has been absolutely awesome!!!

hoping to hear more!

thank you![/quote]

If you are looking the standard, I suggest contacting people in the specific industry you are interested in. For example, I believe automotive designers and sculptures still use Studio Tools exclusively.

In product design in general, I’ve seen posts mentioning Studio tools dwindle quite alot the last 3-4 years. All that time Rhino has become huge. The last year I have seen alot more SolidWorks in job posts. I would recommend, for your resume, to learn Rhino before Studio Tools. If you can have SW and Rhino on the resume, that is going to cover the most ground.

hmm…ok…

so exactly what is the software needed for?

isit mainly used for concept development? presentation renderings? marketing presentations? all of the above?

thing is, my school was never really big on software skills.
i was trainined mainly in concept development, sketching my concepts out on paper, hand renderings and then form studies were developed through foam form studies which eventually led to the construction of a proper block model done in the workshop.

3D modelling was never really a big thing. (yea. sucks that my school was so damn traditional)

also, as a product designer, do i have to produce the engineering drawings with the 3D models that i will have to churn out?
because the only reason why i used Solidworks in school was to product such drawings but most of the time i was shithouse at it.

please advise thank you SOOO MUCH!!!

i have so much to learn from all of you people.

Well, I have been using Alias since begining of my design career.
I have made comparison between the two before place my purchase.

Certainly Alias is like Ferrari compare to Rhino in several aspects in ID work - modeling and rendering.

Modeling - Alias has more control and sophisticated compare to Rhino especially in organic profiling, tangency control, class A surfaces. Rhino is still way from there, and almost like half-cooked. It feels very ‘primitive’ for advance users , despite personally I having no problem to force using Rhino if have no choice except you feel down-graded, depressed, and frustrated. :cry: Soon you get used to it ! In fact i having both rather for some reasons.

Rendering - Alias again is Ferrari in its position compare to Rhino. But Rhino rendering is surprisingly presentable, and can be make as realistic as anything. but of cos with limited control.

Ultimately, it comes down to $$$ :neutral_face: in your company budget or your personal wallet. Despite that, Alias price is getting lower and effordable to compare to years ago, so as the hardware compatiblity.

Whatever you make your choice, so long you enjoy it ![/b]

Certainly Alias is like Ferrari compare to Rhino in several aspects in ID work - modeling and rendering.

Modeling - Alias has more control and sophisticated compare to Rhino especially in organic profiling, tangency control, class A surfaces. Rhino is still way from there, and almost like half-cooked. It feels very ‘primitive’ for advance users , despite personally I having no problem to force using Rhino if have no choice except you feel down-graded, depressed, and frustrated. :cry: Soon you get used to it ! In fact i having both rather for some reasons.

Rendering - Alias again is Ferrari in its position compare to Rhino. But Rhino rendering is surprisingly presentable, and can be make as realistic as anything. but of cos with limited control.

Ultimately, it comes down to $$$ :neutral_face: in your company budget or your personal wallet. Despite that, Alias price is getting lower and effordable to compare to years ago, so as the hardware compatiblity.

Blackchocks:

To sum up, Alias/Rhino is suitable for creating aesthetic forms, SolidWorks/Catia/ProE are for functional part design. These are obviously not wholly exclusive functions however.

Alias/Rhino can be used to create presentations or surfaces to be used in creating solid parts in another software.

SW can do the same thing, except your final model is already solid, so you don’t need to export it for rapid prototyping.

Now that I’ve had 3 years experience behind me, I realize how poor my school was at 3D software skills. You are not alone.

I am a student and was interested in getting a trial copy of Alias, and was wondering how obtrusive the watermark is, ie is it suitable for school presentations.