Alias going down the crapper

ykh:

Are you suggesting that Alias saw PLM software attractive and that’s why they allowed themselves the purchase by Autodesk? I always suggest CAD managers and the like should NOT let their librarian tell them what to do or how to manage product development. Did I say PLM software is boring.

I just hope the development budget is bigger for Alias now. Maybe we can see the software mature with solids like Rhino and move closer to a hybrid modeler. Maybe instead of merging the two each will mature in different directions? Inventor and Alias merge? Maybe a little. Maybe some good will come of inventor programmers and Alias programmers to play a little paint ball. Maybe they will become friends and buckle down and develop the next generation software. Maybe that what we should discuss here…. How better to prove form if Alias and Inventor were to be integrated.

PTC and CDRS already did that and it took them 5+ years. two to get the idea and three to develop it past beta. It is called ISDX and it is bad ass. Oops I mentioned Pro/E.

no.

not that i noticed. but then then i’d say people who don’t understand PLM don’t see the big picture.

did i mention i’m wondering if you’re now going to spam the boards with your Pro/E training spiel?

What question? Your the one that stated Autodesk doesn’t have PLM, so if it’s not CAD software then why bother discussing it in the first place?

I’m not arguing that Pro/E has more functionality, easier to use with a smaller learning curve? well Inventor & SolidWorks takes the cake on that one. Not everyone needs what Pro/E offers, many of the features are akin to Catia and NX.

I don’t zone myself out of any software, apparantly you are. Not good practice especially when you can’t always choose what the bean counters say.

do any of u cad gurus actually work or just surf the boards all day geez!!

this one: “why do you continue to bring up Pro/E and CAD software?”

didn’t say Autodesk didn’t have it. only i didn’t find it when looking at Inventor (you claimed Inventor was PLM). and i was responding to your comment that Autodesk might buy SolidWorks or Pro/E when i raised PLM.

you sound more married to Inventor than i am to any package. i use several packages. wouldn’t recommend Pro/E to anyone. and i buy my own software. do you?

vacation!

only i’m getting family and cleaning house. sucks.

vacation, yeah right hehe the old standby meaning ‘unemployed’.

I’ve used Inventor 9. Man, that was no where near SolidWorks on any front. We switched to SolidWorks 2006 last month.

I’ve always enjoyed the Alias interface. It’s difficult to learn, but once up to speed, it’s flexibility makes it a joy. I’ve noticed SolidWorks has brought alot of the same ideas into their software.

What I would like to see is what YKH mentioned, and that is niche products. Of all the software I use, I know I’m only using 30-40% of the functionality of any individual software. It would be nice to see a mix & match of Autodesk and Alias software.

Last tango in Paris: Are you working in Montreal? Where are you using Inventor? If you don’t feel comfortable on the boards answering, shoot me an email.

This exactly how/what I felt when I first heard about it. It’s like when Daimler merged with Chrysler - an end of an era for a classic! And I’m not talking about Chrysler. So now back to Alias, we really have to wait and see about Alias. As for me being an IDer, I want to be able to use the best tools available out there.

Vorspring durch Technik!!!

On the bright side, Alias may benefit from AutoDesk’s distribution channels and mass marketing expertise.

distribution channels agree. marketing expertise? maybe. but they may have money to fund development. maybe they’ll do something good. just dont see a track record of them developing breakthrough product.

to think i almost purchased some Alias software. glad i held off.

…autodesk has been around for ever, so they must do somethings right…just cann’t figure out what that something is.

That’s the key, AutoCAD has been around for so long everyone has legacy documents to support. AutoCAD is archaic and unfortunately the default program for many industries.

Wow, incredible the passion any stupid CAD news generates on Core. Tons of other more pressing issues for designers but CAD still beats them all.

Either most people here are green beans barely out of school or love the tools of the trade more than what they do with them. Who the f–k cares so much about all these slimy jackass CAD vendors except the biggest suckers who bought into this excuse for progress from the start.

Designers are hopeless dupes and followers.

Forget to log in again Deez?

You are all probably like this guy.

It would be nice to see Alias live on as a division within the company, kind of like how all of the video software is run under the Discreet name. Somehow though I have to agree with others that they are most likely going to get folded into AutoCAD and stripped for parts.

AutoDesk faces a problem in that their software just isn’t moving like they want it to. Inventor is the biggest piece of crap software package out there and they know it. Thats why if you want to buy mechanical desktop you have to get it as part of the Inventor bundle. My last employer tried it out on a few things and it fell flat every time. All promises and no delivery.

The big money software titles under the Discreet name can’t be selling that often. There are only so many video studios out there and competition is tight now. People that used to have nothing but Discreet now have other tools like SoftImage, and many more that are incredible.

Some people have mentioned AutoDesk trying to buy SolidWorks but that is unlikely as they were already bought out recently by Groupe Dassault to be integrated into the Catia family. Since they’re a French military aircraft manufacturer you can guarantee that it would be a hell of a battle to get that company, or France, to let go of its design and software branch. I don’t see that happening. A bid for Parametric Technology Corp would be more likely but I don’t see that happening either.

I love these experts who come in here and talk like they are the shit, probably never even used the software. Inventor ISN’T the biggest crap software out there. It’s the best selling 3D software on the market and Autodesk tags that line on all their sales fliers and ads. You speak as if Mechanical Desktop is great and state of the art if so then why do they give it and Autocad away as a freebie when you buy INV? Anyone that is still using that antiquated piece of shit software package should have their head checked. Inventor isn’t perfect but it hasn’t been on the market that long either. You want crap then order a copy of TurboCAD, you’ll probably think it’s the best thing since sliced bread.

Just because AutoDesk puts “We’re #1” on all of their materials doesn’t make it so. The first rule to remember is that all marketers are liars. They might be able to claim that they produce the most programs for the design industry, buts thats easy to say when you take the same program, add an extra library to it, and pretend that it isn’t autocad.

For a program that is so widely used and loved around the world, no one seems to give a shit about it. Do a search on coroflot for Inventor and you get a big fat zero. Alias on the other hand gets 33 recent results. Whos got the market share where it counts.