Aldo?

I dont think Aldo is so bad, sure it seems to take advantage of other peoples designs. But more often than not those design forward companies dont have such a great distribution or accessible prices.

My point is that Aldo is educating the consumer that would otherwise have no access to designer footwear. This in my opinion is evident in most malls across the USA for example.

Maybe one day consumers will have the confidence to buy what they like instead of whats socially cool. I think shopping at Aldos brings us a step closer to this than if we carry on shopping at any of the other brown shoe chain stores.

It is what it is.

OK, it is simple. If you work in design, it only makes sense to NOT support a company that does NOT hire designers. We are consumers also, and we can purchase whatever we want. I will also choose to not support a company that does not hire designers. :smiley:

Does anyone have it as a fact that Aldo does not have designers? Im a little weary of trusting what some sales guy in a shop says. I would doubt that they would know the company structure and development process…

That being said, as mentioned by many others here earlier, this process of sourcing is very common in the footwear business, especially at this price point.

What is the distinction to be made anyhow between original design and “inspired” products as many companies make? Not supporting a company because they dont use design as you see it, in my opinion is just as flawed in logic as supporting all that do use design… shouldnt we then also distinguish between good design and bad design? At what point is it all subjective…

R

rkuchinsky - I think copyboy heard this from “someone fairly high up in the corp.” and not a store-level salesperson.

Does anyone have it as a fact that Aldo does not have designers? I’m a little weary of trusting what some sales guy in a shop says. I would doubt that they would know the company structure and development process…

I’m sorry I must be vague with the details. But this information did not come from a sales guy in an ALDO store, it came from higher up in the chain, from someone who knows ALDO’s specific process.

What is the distinction to be made anyhow between original design and “inspired” products as many companies make? Not supporting a company because they don’t use design as you see it, in my opinion is just as flawed in logic as supporting all that do use design… shouldn’t we then also distinguish between good design and bad design? At what point is it all subjective…

Most products are Inspired in one way or another right? Designers look for inspiration in all sorts of places.

I can’t speak for anyone else, but by not supporting a company who doesn’t support design, I’m not saying that I support all companies that do. I support designs which I enjoy.

I supported ALDO, because I liked the design of some of their shoes. Unfortunately I found out that it wasn’t ALDO design at all, it was Gucci or whatever. How does this not make sense?

rkuchinsky,
Are you saying there is nothing wrong with all those companies manufacturing fake LV purses? From a design standpoint, What’s the difference between those co. and ALDO?

Im not saying its right to copy designs. But if the copies are done by “designers”, or through sourcing developers, I cant really see the difference.

For example, GAP, Abercrombie & Fitch, etc. mainstream clothing labels Im sure do emply designers, but most of their product is heavily inspired by higher-end brands…would you also not support these diffusion fashion companies?

I just find it interesting that you differentiate between liking a design before you knew designers werent involved and the same design after knowing the context.

You say “I’m not saying that I support all companies that do (support design). I support designs which I enjoy”

And at the same time you said you liked the design of the Aldo shoes. Sounds conflicting given that the only difference know is your knowledge of the process.

For sure there is a slippery slope an a fuzzy line between inspiration, copying and design. I just find it surprising that your opinion of a company and its products can change so much with a little insight to the process.

One the other, I feel somewhat the same in your view of support designs you enjoy. For example, I cant stand lots of Prada Sport shoes that are little more than an adidas classic with only 2 stripes and a Prada logo +400 EUR on top of the price…Here, im sure that while design is involved, I cant make the connection between the product and process. From this example, would you “support” Prada?

Of course all design takes and works with existing ideas. I just think its dangerous to draw a hard and fast line between a company that uses design and one which doesnt if in the end it is indeed the product that matters.

R

How about boycotting Target as well. Most of their design is trend based which somehow turns the design into a knock off. Just take a stroll down their personal products isle or any isle for that matter. How can they blatently produce a shaving cream or soap that looks identical to the product next to it and even print “comparable to” on the label. Same color, bottle shape, font etc. I don’t quite understand it. We could probably come up with a hundred examples of how Target rips off designs. They have this false facade of being a great design innovator when all they really have is over paid designers names on copies of old designs.(Graves Tea Kettle) How does Alessi not get pissed about the knock off of their tea kettle? Maybe Alessi manufactured the cheap knock off too. I’m not sure but the designs are just so similar. It makes me wonder why Graves couldn’t have produced a more original opening price point tea kettle that still stuck to his aesthetic. This could probably start a whole additional discussion. Perhaps my comment should be else where but this seems to be more of a discussion about knock-offs and copying.

Im not saying its right to copy designs. But if the copies are done by “designers”, or through sourcing developers, I cant really see the difference.

I agree, there wouldn’t be much of a difference. My point is, by a co. not even staffing designers, they’ve taken away the possibility that they might at some point contribute something original.

I just find it interesting that you differentiate between liking a design before you knew designers werent involved and the same design after knowing the context.

I still like the design, it’s the idea behind it’s creation that makes me sick to wear it. I want the original, and not for status, but the principle, to support good design directly.

You say “I’m not saying that I support all companies that do (support design). I support designs which I enjoy”

this was directed towards comparing good and bad design, I support the idea of any company that strives to create original material, but I don’t necessarily buy form everyone. for example, NIKE generally isn’t for me, so I never end up with NIKE kicks.

And at the same time you said you liked the design of the Aldo shoes

I do like the “Design” of some ALDO shoes, but It’s not ALDO’s design.

One the other, I feel somewhat the same in your view of support designs you enjoy. For example, I cant stand lots of Prada Sport shoes that are little more than an adidas classic with only 2 stripes and a Prada logo +400 EUR on top of the price…Here, im sure that while design is involved, I cant make the connection between the product and process. From this example, would you “support” Prada?

I wouldn’t buy that particular PRADA shoe, but if they put out other products that are original, they’re way ahead of a co. like ALDO.

It makes me wonder why Graves couldn’t have produced a more original opening price point tea kettle that still stuck to his aesthetic.

This is exactly what I was trying to say earlier in the thread, when I was referencing Traveler 9’s Wal-Mart B-Ball shoe. He didn’t have to copy, he simply created his design, at his price-point.

I still doubt that ALDO doesnt have designers.

quickly browsing coroflot, found this portfolio of a designer that worked at ALDO… Anyone like to give him an invite to the discussion?

or anyone up to send an email to the ALDO group to inquire

careers@aldogroup.com

R

SWEET! In the early 90’s ALDO had a designer!! :open_mouth:
I’m gonna go put my Boots back on :smiley:

I’m not really into raising questions and pointing ALDO toward this discussion, With the possibility of causing trouble for anyone…

I’m just not shopping there anymore, that’s all…

Are you serious?
That’s so dramatic :laughing:

If only most people cared as much as you did, but they are otherwise concerned with more important things, such as whether Bush will invade Iran or not.

Just because a store does not emply designers it does not automatically mean that everything they do is knocked off. Lots of retailers exist without designers. But they still buy in DESIGNED product.