AIR vs PRO

Hey guys, I’m hoping to get some feedback to help me make a decision on my new Mac. (yes I’m on the good side)

Option 1: MacPro, iphone, 23 Inch Monitor

Option 2: MacBook Air, full size wireless keyboard, 23 Inch Monitor, iphone

I would be happy with either to get rid of running both my Mac and a Dell (3D CAD)
The 1st option is about $1K bucks more, and both have +'s and -'s. I was also wondering if any one was running any crazy setups like dual monitors, 32g of RAM or something.

Thanks everyone.

The Macbook Air is not a workstation. You would regret buying it as a primary machine. The hard drive is small regardless of the configuration, the 4200rpm standard hard drive is painfully slow, the integrated graphics will struggle in CAD applications – if it can run them at all. The single USB port means that even with a USB hub you’re going to max out at around 4 plugs. If you factor in how many USB devices there are that most people have (keyboard, mouse, Wacom tablet, Printer, Iphone, Camera, etc) thats a fairly irritating constraint. I’d hate to have to unplug something everytime I wanted to sync my phone or print something.

If you’re going to buy a mac either get the Mac Pro or the Macbook Pro. At least the 17" Macbook Pro can be equipped with some decent hardware, and a high res 1920x1200 screen.

The Mac Pro is awesome, but totally overpriced. You could build an obscene PC with dual 24" screens, a workstation class graphics card, quad core CPU + 4 gigs of ram all for what you pay for the Mac Pro. At the end of the day you won’t have OSX but you’d have a wad of cash to put towards a Cintiq (or a Macbook Air for travel).

Thats just my two cents (again from someone who values function, value, and performance over a shiny brushed aluminum case)

I was also wondering if any one was running any crazy setups like dual monitors, 32g of RAM or something.

Dual Monitors/Dual video cards = awesome.

Maximum RAM also = awesome.

Have you looked at the specs of the Air? You do realize its about the last thing you’d want to buy given the type of thing you are hoping to do right? (3d cad, lots of ram, extra peripherals, etc)

Air is super portable, but not super powerful. Give that a thought before you blow your cash on it.

Cyberdemon, I think Ur right.
The MacBookPro would be the way to go for portable.

The Mac Pro is awesome, but totally overpriced. You could build an obscene PC with dual 24" screens, a workstation class graphics card, quad core CPU + 4 gigs of ram all for what you pay for the Mac Pro. At the end of the day you won’t have OSX but you’d have a wad of cash to put towards a Cintiq (or a Macbook Air for travel).

but what about ilife, UNIX based OSX, and don’t even mention dual quad core processors! .

I will probably go with the PRO and a 23" monitor - about $3600. I think the alternate set-up U mentioned would cost at least $4400. I also enjoy being able to upgrade my tower along the way.

Thanks.

From a working designers perspective - iLife is a bunch of feel good stuff - would be great to have for personal use for your parents, but I want Dreamweaver - not iWeb - Premiere (or final cut) not iMovie, etc. There is certainly a lot of great photography stuff, but you don’t LOSE that functionality with a PC - you just need to go with a less pretty, less intuitive application.

As far as the 8 core processors…you’re almost talking about the computer equivalent of a 2000 horsepower car. It’s great to make all that power - but theres no tires on earth that can actually put it to the ground. In this case, theres virtually no applications that can make use of 2-4 cores, let alone 8.

My entire office (which works with massive Pro-E and Alias CAD databases) is running off single core Pentium 4’s. Unless you’re running a render farm, those cores will mostly sit dormant.

And you can build a setup like that for far less then $4500. Dell has been selling quad core towers for under $800. Throw in new monitors ($1400) and a nice video card ($300-500) and you’d be set.

I still get by with a pentium 3 and pentium 4 tower just fine although redering takes a bit of a wait. For modeling geometry and 2D work it’s just fine.

Well, the Air is good as a toy but not so good as a workstation, as someone said before.

I would buy kicking ass a PC instead of the Mac Pro.

Just to remember, you can now have Leopard installed in your PC, with all
functions working…It really works very well.

Just google for it.

Pro.

If by “works very well” you mean “takes purchasing specific components and dealing with a ton of setup issues that are beyond the average users comprehension” then yes.

It’s possible, but that doesn’t mean it’s easy or stable. Making a hackintosh is one of those tasks that people who like using Linux do for fun.

It´s very fun indeed! :smiley:

There is now a very simple way to install Leopard in a PC…It´s just a single step process.

Anyway, just getting back to the topic, the Mac Pro is so expensive that I would take the money and buy myself a monster PC…with or without Leopard.