Air Jordan DJ bag

Just trying to fluff up the soft good side of the discussion.

http://www.productdose.com/2005/10/27/air-jordan-dj-bag/#more-1505

you mean trying to “fluff up” your ego…

Man, there’s always someone with a bone to pick. I liked the bag, and appreciate the post… At least someone has the nuts to post their work and open up for criticism.

Can’t tell much from the black and white photo in the link, but I’d be more curious to see what kind of thought process went into the design - i.e., did you talk to DJ’s, and if so, what kind of feedback did they give that effected the final design?

It’s the research, thought and brainstorming that makes it interesting for me - if you can share (without a conflict of interest or anything).

-AD

Can’t tell much from the black and white photo in the link, but I’d be more curious to see what kind of thought process went into the design - i.e., did you talk to DJ’s, and if so, what kind of feedback did they give that effected the final design?

It’s the research, thought and brainstorming that makes it interesting for me - if you can share (without a conflict of interest or anything).

agreed, its a nice looking bag and sketches look nice, but it does sorta seem like just another one on the market. The only thing it seems to have that is significantly different to other DJ bags is is space for a laptop and the branding.

Thanks for the concern, I do like to keep it well fluffed, but this was actually in response to a question awhile back. Someone asked if anyone was doing bag design.

Good question on the research. This project was a little side project Alan Stack ( http://www.duotonedesign.com/ ), who is another designer here in Jordan, and I did for fun. Alan has been a DJ for over 10 years, first in Boston, then in Hong Kong, and NYC, and now in glamorous Portland :wink: , the project was his idea, a natural result of the collision of sneaker culture and music. He brought me on because I have experience designing bags, and I love side projects.

When we started the project we created a survey and asked DJ’s around the world that Alan had met over the years what they liked about their DJ bags, what they didn’t like, what they wished they had, what brands they preferred ect. We also asked them what their favorite AJ’s where.

After getting those back we bought some of the most commonly used bags from the survey and dissected the successful and unsuccessful elements. We also found from those surveys what was missing and how many records it should hold. Common wants where for it to hold 40-50 records, have a laptop pouch, have pockets sized specifically for needle boxes and big (BIG) headphones.

We started sketching around those parameters and infusing styling from favorite AJ’s which tended to be the III-V, hence the cement print leathers and micro perfs, and old flight logos. We also wanted as much to be custom as possible, so we designed all of the hardware, down to the zipper pulls. There are a few more surprises, little innovations, inside the bag, but we don’t want to give them away until it launches.

Ironically, this was a side project neither of us got paid for, but it has attracted some nice attention on the blogs from coolhunting, to hypebeast and vibe.com.

Hey, without people posting work and talking about process, this place is just a bunch whining.

Nice work as always Yo.

Do you have any development sketches to show?

I like the general design and On a technical slide… The buckles look like klip klunk style…which might not be able to handle the weight of the records - I have massive chunky fixed plastic brackets on my current record bag and they creak like hell. Maybe it would be cool to have some kind of Nike air bubble system in the shoulder pad (like the technology that sold the original product?) as If you’re lugging around records on the train or bus it can get pretty painfull.

wzp

Good points. Thanks. I like the air idea. The brackets are diecast metal, they won’t break, but they might creak like heck. Thanks, we’ll test it out.

As far as more sketches. I’ll dig around. Since this was a side project. We kind of overlayed the crap out of this sketch working all the ideas through for like 4 hours. Ended with the sketch you see and we sent it off to a firm the specializes in doing tech drawings for bags (can we all say RESOURCES!). from there we’ve been going back and forth on prototypes.

Just a side question: Is that kind of firm pretty common; one that will take soft goods sketches and lay them out for a factory to produce? I’m guessing that the recourse you mentioned wasn’t the factory making the bag

Looks like a fun project to think about the needs of a DJ. Its interesting to hear about the background on your bag, too. If you wanted it to have some ties to shoe design, it might be cool to have some well sculpted plastic bottom grips that are intricate like shoe bottoms.

Take it easy

Damn man, you did the Zoom Street Miler? I have them on right now! got them at ShoeBiz on Haight.

(big props)

Thanks Slippy, that was my first shoe that went to production, and in a lot of ways, the most pure one I’ve done to date (I’m wish they would retro it)

Trav, good suggestion. That would really push it. Unfortunately we are allready at $180 retail on this guy!

Interesting you say “pure”, as what I get from the ZSM is a funny mix of golf wingtip (from the shiny white vs. black perf material), a racing stripe up the front, and a sweet techy ripstop side that resembles those actual Miler track race shoes. Oh yeah, and pod-print soles like an F-1 shoe. (*can you tell I’ve never designed a shoe before?____) So I wouldn’t call it “pure”, but a very interesting and somewhat humorous and well blended postmodernist take on a walk down the street.

Off topic, sorry.

"The brackets are diecast metal, they won’t break, but they might creak like heck. Thanks, we’ll test it out. "

forgive me if i’m being a pedant, but in my office if i said “die cast metal”, or “they wont break, followed by, we’ll test it”

i’d be laughed out of the studio

die cast metal, sounds like it will be al or zn (at most), that shiv aint that strong mate, i’d do plenty of testing before ol mj bags are falling around peoples feet (with their pants)

die cast metal, (snigger) you shoe people kill me

by pure I mean, pure to what I like to wear. Its actually all track inspired. The pods are in the same spots as the spikes on track running flats and the upper is a slight messaging of one of our cleanest track uppers.

And by Die Cast I mean I don’t design metal parts often, but these are strong. But I guess a little knitpicking never held anyone back. Next time you need advice on foxing, vamps, or strobel vd board construction I’ll be there for you.

ok now here comes the question from a girl who knows very little about the air jordan brand but still enough to know it’s based around the basket ball player…so i’m just wondering why the air jordan brand with the dj bag?

oh and another thing…if that’s white leather/plastic i’m not to keen on it cos that will be dirty in 2 seconds in a club!

There is huge crossover between sneakerheads and music. Check out sites like:

http://www.hypebeast.com/index.php

Its not just about basketball, and neither was MJ

Cool bag…I think I’d like it alot more without the MJ branding. Granted, I’m not the target customer, but I’m really struggling to make a connection between DJ’s and MJ’s. But hey, that’s just me.

There are huge links between sneaker and dj culture and hip hop. Check out Bobbito Garcia’s book ‘where’d you get those’ as a good starter.

wzp

i know there’s a huge link with hip hop music and basketball…even though they may change that soon

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/basketball/4392182.stm

…but anyway even on the link yo just said to look at there are no nike air jordans i just thought it was more the “old school” type nikes that were linked to the hip hop etc or maybe i prefer to link them rather then the jordans.