Air car

Just when you thought that we would never hear or see of this car again, Tata drops a money bag on the project.

http://news.techwhack.com/5902-air-car

In case you are wondering how ugly they are:

ya i looked at the motor, a revamped version of a ww2 torpedo engine.

i feel like not enough people gave the first reply enough credit. zippyflounder pointed out that, ultimately, anything electric (even compressors) get their energy from a very dirty source (if you’re in the u.s., it’s probably coal.) if you’re looking to lower emissions, nothing plug in will do the job. efficiency is good, but there are bigger problems to be solved. anyone seen this before??: Engineering News-Record | ENR
this guy from georgia tech turns trash (a huge problem itself) into a usable solid and lots of energy.

also:

this post makes no sense. seriously. i’m pretty sure even chungdha has no idea what just happened.

I visited the French company, Moteur Developpement International (www.mdi.lu) in 2005 to write a research paper for limited distribution for UC Davis’s Institute for Transportation Studies, CARB, and California legislators.

The car is basically an electric car. Yes, an electric compressor fills the air tank. This solves two problems-- the weight and disposal problems of batteries. Does it reduce pollution? Net effect, no (unless the electricity is generated from solar or hydro). But, the pollution will be emitted from the power plant, and not in the urban centers where the cars are driven.

The motor has NEW technology invented by former aerospace and formula one engineer Guy Negre (who developed VW’s W-16 motor). The crankshaft and active chamber are new technologies. For animations of these technologies you can contact MDI or me.

MDi’s 41 series engine is specifically designed with an articulated connecting rod, which holds the piston at top dead center for 70 degrees of crankshaft rotation. The active chamber allows force to be applied to the crankshaft for 270 degrees of rotation (when the main piston is held at TDC, the active piston is pushed down).

It takes about 30 kW of energy to charge the air tanks, which are made of a carbon fiber shell surrounding a thermoplastic liner.

If you have any other questions regarding the company or my report please PM me. Thanks,

Barret

Actually, electric source vehicles are still better for emissions even when the original source is coal-fired.

Since it take more energy and hassle to start up the plant every morning than to keep it running, coal stations generally keep producing at night, even when there is nearly zero draw. Since most electric vehicles are charged at night, they are taking advantage of the grid power that would normally be wasted and carbon emissions that will be created anyway.

:)ensen.