AIPH? anyone heard of it?

im currently enrolled at the Art Institute of Philadelphia, when i look at all the top schools listed on core77…i dont see my school anywhere…now i know there are a bunch of schools not listed buttt…i was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the Art Institute Industrial Design program.???

I graduated from the AIP (Art Institute of Pittsburgh) in industrial design. I thought the program was amazing when I first got there. At the time only Pittsburgh and Denver offered a bachelor’s degree in ID at the Art Institutes. This may have changed since then.

The AIP only had one actual professor, and he was hung up on his own ego, so getting him to actually teach and not talk about himself was a real problem for my classmates and me. Some of the other instructors knew what they were talking about and provided more useful information in their classes, but not enough at times. He left my last year so nobody has to worry about him anymore.

The design curriculum at AIP was well balanced. They offered automotive, environmental, furniture, game & toy, recreational, and product design courses. The instructors who taught these classes didn’t have a background in any of the classes they were teaching. It would be like me teaching a class about automotive design with a background in the soft goods industry. There wasn’t much theory to the explanations what so ever.

There was a lot of hands on work building models and prototypes, which was great, but I don’t utilize these skills now, I wish I did. The drawing classes were definitely geared toward graphic design students. They were a mix of graphic, interior and industrial design students. The instructors didn’t want to address ID drawing, because they knew nothing about it. They need to address industrial design sketching for and industrial design degree in my opinion. I basically had to learn from books.

The other big stink I had as well as others in my program was that they taught us Form-Z as a 3D modeling software application. I would look at job postings and see that most jobs recommended for the 3D modeling, such as Alias, Rhino, or SolidWorks. We would ask our professors constantly if they would change this so we would be actually learning something we could utilize after graduation. They said the purchased Form-Z because it was what the ID board agreed upon (bad decision in my opinion). This didn’t make sense to the others or me. I’d let some others chime in as to what 3D modeling software they learned at their schools.

The AIP didn’t stress internships enough. I talked with a counselor about what possibilities were offered for and 11-week course. The AIP didn’t have many to offer because most students used their two electives for other courses. I ended up with an internship at the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh. That was the best they could come up with to offer me credit towards my degree. Needless to say it wasn’t much of an internship.

Now since I have graduated and moved on to the professional side, I believe there are definitely better schools for industrial design like RISD, CIA, + UC’s DAAP program.

I would suggest talking with the instructors if possible. That way you have a better understanding of their backgound as well. The people in admissions didn’t know shit about the ID program at AIP or what the instructors backgrounds were, they just sold me the high points and tried to get me to sign on the dotted line. Do your research.

Each school will be what you make of it!

I graduated from AIPH myself. Eco’s right on a bunch of stuff, the schooling is what you make of it and you may have to push to get a decent internship but they do have some great resources.

You will learn Rhino and when I was leaving they were going to start teaching SW.

Kreg Jones is probably hands down their best instructor, and there are a couple of other instructors that will help you out a lot but also expect to take your education into your own hands. The curriculum is generally pretty easy so it won’t be a large burden to add an extra project or competition every quarter or two.

I would also look into working for the cage-it will pay off heavily.

Design coterie,

When did you graduate from AIPH?

So they moved on to Rhino, that’s good to hear. Or maybe each art institute is independent of each other. I need to call AIP to see if they switched to Rhino.

Pretty recent. March '07

I hear the 'stute in Pitt focuses more heavily on movie prosthetics and make-up, am I mis-informed?

That is the IDT (Industrial Design Technology) curriculum, which is an associate’s degree program. ID (Industrial Design) was heavily focused around product design. There weren’t any classes on movie prosthetics and make-up in ID.

to design coterie[/byea, kreg jones is a great instructor, i just recently had him for CAD, hopin to get best of quarter for that final. anyway, if you dont mind me asking, what are you doing now? i know when i first enrolled all aiph did was brag about their student placement rate in jobs, but im concerned about the quality of job grads are getting.so are you employed?

to eco ID… yea im only in my 4th quarter and im doing good and everything getting best of quarter every quarter, but its concerning me.im a transfer from graphic design and though my passion is strong to become a heavy hitter in the ID world i feel that the other students at better schools are getting a better education. Im extremely focused and looking to perfect my sketching skills,marker rendering skills and ideation skills, and learning materials and everything. but im worried that it wont be enough, and when i graduate i still will be behind the learning curve…

The graphic design background will only help you later on (layouts, presentations, resume…)

I am employed, I am director of design and engineering here at a new company in Conshohocken (just outside philly). You can get a good job through AIPH you just have to work a little harder on your own. Make sure you push to get some stuff printed on the zcorp, Steve is stingy but if you do something cool he’ll go for it.

to eco ID… yea im only in my 4th quarter and im doing good and everything getting best of quarter every quarter, but its concerning me.im a transfer from graphic design and though my passion is strong to become a heavy hitter in the ID world i feel that the other students at better schools are getting a better education. Im extremely focused and looking to perfect my sketching skills,marker rendering skills and ideation skills, and learning materials and everything. but im worried that it wont be enough, and when i graduate i still will be behind the learning curve…

I would have to say the Art Institutes should have the same programs from school to school, but not the same instructors. From my experience at the AIP I’d also be willing to bet your instructors at the AIPH have had more experience with industrial design than the instructors at the AIP. My classmates and I had to teach ourselves at some points because some of the instructors were basically there to baby-sit the class. This isn’t a joke either.

Two classmates of mine were fortunate enough to transfer from the AIP to CIA. I didn’t have the funding to leave so I made the best of it at the AIP. If you’re having these feelings of transferring I would seriously look into it.

You said you’re in IDT (associate’s degree) right? You could always finish that degree then move on to which ever school you find that fits your liking.

nope…bachelors program, AIPH doesnt offer associates. Im just going to make the best out of it and work my ass off. Then try to get my masters.