advise on appliaction needed!

I just moved to a new city in a new country. This city, though, doesn’t excatly seem like a design hot spot but unfortunately moving is not an option for the moment (personal reasons). Nevertheless I’m quite keen on finding out what goes on here and on making contact with the few existing companies that I found.

There 2-3 companies which I was wanting to approach to ask for work, even an internship would be fine just to get me started somewhere. My initial idea was to stop by personally and try to talk to them (it is a rather small company). Even in the case of sounding arrogant, I think I’m better face-to-face than just sending off an email with a file attached.

I was wondering whether anyone has had some (positive) experience with this? What do I need to keep in mind when going there? Shall I bring my entire portfolio incase they are interested in seeing it, just samples or is my resumé enough? To those who run their own businesses, how do you feel about applicants just showing up at your office’s door step?

Thanks for any insights, advise and shared experiences! :slight_smile:

Depends on what country- where did you relocate to?

I moved to Sweden. I’m European. Are Western cultures really that different dealing when approached? I know, Swedes aren’t exactly as outgoing as others. However, I think I remember reading somewhere that it does impress them when they are openly approached, especially in matters of business. (I apologize to all Swedes, if I’m totally mistaken)

…i would get an appointment first (you could just drop in to arrange that when you just happen by…with your book under your arm)…if they have some time (small firms can be extremely busy too) they may see you then or not, but i would ask for a 20 minute informational interview (you are new to the area…you have an interest in thier industry…how long have they been in business…what do they like about it…what are the problems or how do they see the future…yadda, yadda, yadda) depending on how it goes you could ask at the end of the interview if they have or anticipate any jobs and if not could they recommend one or two others who might.