Advice regarding degree

I am currently halfway through my third year. I was originally enrolled in a 4 year Industrial Design program, however halfway through my first year we were told that the degree was changing and we had two options:

-Transfer to the new degree (3 years- now called Bachelor of Design(Product Innovation))
-Stay in the 4 year ID course

The new 3 year is based upon a 3+2 format, and can be followed by a 2 year Masters in ID. Now, being in my first year, I thought it would be a good idea to change to the shorter one because…well, it was shorter. I have changed my mind now however, and am considering trying to transfer back into the ID program and do the 4th year.

My main concern with what I am now in (Product Innovation) is that I will not be experienced enough when finishing Uni to get a job anywhere.

I could continue into the masters degree, but after researching some of the European and American courses, would saying that I have a Masters in ID be interpreted as a 4 year bachelor+several years work experience+ a 2 year masters degree?

There isn’t a lot of ID in the city that I live in, so sourcing a job will likely be in another state or country, and I don’t want to be in a situation where a potential employer misinterprets the amount of experience/knowledge that I have based upon a different understanding of Bachelor/Master etc.

Does anyone have an opinion of which to do?
-Stay in 3 year and try to find a job at the end of this year
-Stay in 3 year and do the 2 year masters
-Transfer to the 4 year and look for a job after next year

Thankyou

Tough situation. Without knowing much about you or what school you are going to, it is difficult to give much advice of any validity. As someone once told me, begin at the end. Start by thinking about what kind of designer you want to be. Sometimes it helps to identify a few real ones. Once you have a vision of where you would like to be and what you would like to be doing, you can start to backtrack to figure out what your possible path may be. Perhaps that will help you make your decision.

What school are you going to? Sounds you want to transfer to the full fledged ID curriculum from your post. Have you spent time with the students on that course track?

sounds like an architecture school trying to get everyone on the same schedule. (saves paperwork)

Honestly, a three year program WITH a year long internship and a couple summer co-ops is probably the best deal money can buy.

The 3+2 is the “Bologna Model”, which most European Universities have moved/ are moving to.

My university has done it for some courses, including ID, but in practice I understand that the fourth year of the old method (mostly your self-run major project) has been replaced by a Masters, which is two years of major projects, some self-run and some set up like a professional practice (i.e. start project A, along comes project B so switch to project B, more project A, complete project C).

So the first three years of both programs are essentially the same. I’m part-time so I’m doing the 3 year only because it taken me 6 years to get here, and I need to start working and learn in the real world, rather than spend another 2 to 4 years studying. I intend to do a masters at some stage, but you aren’t limited in where you do your masters.

From what I’ve been told, your portfolio is much more important in getting a job, rather than what you’ve studied, grades, length of program etc. And also work experience/ internships show that you have an insight into what an ID’er actually does, how an office works and what is expected in a professional environment.

Most of the ID students I know are doing the four year non-masters program, having switched from the masters, only because the masters isn’t covered by Austudy (Australian Government student financial aid), not because the masters isn’t worthwhile.

Here in Australia, the adoption of the Bologna Model is probably driven by a desire to remain competitive to full fee paying overseas students.

I didnt realise that my location wasnt up yet, I’m also in Adelaide sanjy001, pretty sure I recognise your code :slight_smile:.

I am aware that the portfolio means the most, I’m just trying to future proof the piece of paper I get at the end to prevent a small technicality affecting anything I may want to do in the future.

The piece of paper maters all of about zero.

I’ll stay in the 3 year degree then, and put the extra effort into finding any work experience I can get next year.

Cheers