Advice on taking Illustrator to JPEG?

Hi Guys,

I am a little embarassed to ask this question as I have plenty of experience using Illustrator/Photoshop, but, I am not the best at getting file sizes down while maintaining QUALITY!

I am in the midst of revamping my portfolio in Illustrator. I am using a landscape layout on 11x17. My pages are pretty much a mixed medium between Illustrator drawings/graphics and some JPEG images.

I want to post on Coroflot soon! Anyway, instead of banging my head against a wall, I was hoping for some advice from anyone who has a good way to get those JPEG’s looking crisp for the web without having a real large file size?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! :smiley:

Thanks,

Johnny82

I would use the save for web option with photoshop first and then import them into illustrator. If they are still large when you export from Illustrator just take them back through photoshop again.

Do you mean just the images themselves?

All the images I have in my Illustrator file are in JPEG format and are ‘Linked’ not Embedded.

So are you saying, instead of saving the images as JPEG’s, to use the ‘save for web’ option in photoshop and relink to those?

Also, I was more concerned with the look of my Illustrator line work, it doesn’t seem to come out to ‘crisp’ when exporting the Illustrator file as a JPEG.

Use the “Export” option in the “File” pulldown menu. Make sure the settings are for a 300 dpi, RGB, TIF. You can open those high resolution TIFs in Photoshop, resize them for Coroflot, and save them as JPEGs using the “Save for Web” menu option…

Hey, thanks Nate!

I actually found out another way that seems to work well too:

I opened the actual Illustrator file in Photoshop, resized the file then saved as a JPEG. I got it to be high quality(8) and under 200kb!

Thanks for the help, I will be sure to try the save for web option when I am ready to post my stuff!

I will let you guys know when it is all up so I can get some feedback. I’ve been doing quite the overhaul as well as creating some new stuff, so, I’m hoping by the end of the day Monday or Tuesday.

-Johnny82

adobe… so many ways to skin a cat…