Accredited vs. Not Accredited

Hi All,

What are the downsides of not attending an “accredited” school? I was at San Francisco State University today, and was reading about their “Industrial Arts, Product Design” program. It’s not an “accredited” school - but it looks fun, cheap, and generally available.

However, would going there be a black mark of some kind if I wanted to transfer credits or get a graduate level degree in design? Is this place just considered bottom of the barrel or something??

I always figured you make of an education what you put into it - but that could just be naive.

Any assistance appreciated,
-Dan

If you’re looking for fun and cheap go for it! You also have to think about what you’re going to learn. Look at professors they are the ones who have the knowledge. Their ideology and knowledge will rub off on you, so it’s not always about if you put your head to it. Yes you can do it but you get a bit further if you go to a better school and I don’t mean Art Center in Pasadena. Or do I?

Let me note at the outset that there are several accrediting bodies. You have the normal accreditation that applies to colleges. In addition, there is an art program accreditation by NASAD ( National Association of Schools of Art and Design).

If you are going into fine art or just studying for fun, you probably won’t care about the accreditation. However, if you want to go to grad school EVER or want a job, accreditation may be very imporant.

Frankly, we as consumers don’t really know how good a program is. At least being accredited mandates some minimum standards that the better schools recommend.

Also, if you want to attend grad school, you must have attended an accredited program. Employers also know what programs are accredited and what aren’t .

If you look at the top rated 30 art program by US News and World Reports, they are all accredited institutions by both accrediting agencies.

Thanks for the prompt responses, this totally answered my question. Not being able to apply to a potential grad degree is a show stopper. Even if one never pursues such a thing, I can’t see spending that amount of time in a program without at least having the option.

I understand now why the sfsu program seemed so available and flexible. They aren’t constrained to a particular curriculum. I’m sure the day they become accredited, they’ll get all of the other issues that go with it: an overabundance of applications, highly selective entrance criteria and impacted majors with portfolio requirements.

:slight_smile:

Regards,
-Dan