Abstract Expression and Product Design

I have been developing a series of products for the home that relate directly to the concepts of abstraction and expressionism and how these ideas can be formally articulated in design objects. Within this concept, I am focusing on certain amalgams of style and form that I have recognized in nature and in organic structures, as well as drawing from my artistic background. The philosophy of the project is rooted, thus, in the juncture of two spaces - that of internal thought and process, along with observations that can be appreciated and related to by a larger number of people.

Furthermore, in our developed world, where compartmentalization, geometric and modern spaces, and clean lines are often valued more than disarray and disorder, a reminder may be vital. Nature itself not only aesthetically confronts us with the primitive, but also suggests that psychology, growth and progress is sometimes wild, messy and chaotic, and that this is a fundamental part of life. Even much of contemporary art in the last thirty years has been conceptual, minimal and extremely polished. There is an expectation that the well appointed home, particularly one which displays the wealth and taste of the design-conscious or intellectual homeowner, is often sterile and uninspired on its own. Juxtaposed with interior environments of this sort, my work strives to compel us to view our surroundings as they sometimes truly are; that is, primarily sterile and sometimes “unhuman.” The alternative is an embrace of that which cannot be easily controlled or comfortably defined.

I will be posting further thoughts on specific products, but would love to begin a dialogue about this topic. In addition, I have posted a survey that is helping me gain perspective on potential users of products of this sort.

If you would like contribute your thoughts, please fill out my survey at:

http://surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=856411531799

If you are so kind as to complete the questions, please indicate that you found me through core77 on the final, open comments section.

I also welcome any feedback from those of you also interseted in such subject matter.

All the best,
Carrie Solomon