A quick question for those who know ID

Do Grad courses focussing on Human Factors(usually research oriented Masters Programs) lead to successful design careers? If yes then in what capacity?

Does anyone share my dilemma of moving away from actual design, to this aspect of ID which is more of thinking design than actually doing it…??How ws/is your journey …

First rule of Core: don’t post questions in EVERY section of the forum

Second rule of Core: you guessed it, DON’T POST QUESTIONS IN EVERY SECTION OF THE DARN FORUM!

Very, very wrong.

hi 6ix…relax…!!just digging holes at different places…

Am really sorry for that…
but consider yourself in my position, someone whos desperately seeking to get some information via the forum and hv to decide on a very important move, whch hs to b done considering a particular deadline…a wrong choice at this stage could be major deterrant and hv a -ve impact on my future.

Its just that I hp you understand the gravity of the situation and more than nething being a fellow ider, i believe that u did realise my question ws not only related to general design but had its relevance to schools as well as employment…

Kindly, advice or please refer me to anyone who u think could b helpful…
sorry on my part and thanx for a response (atleast u hd smthing to say considering the others who failed to respond inspite of such desperate attempts to evoke one…!!! :frowning:

Cheers…!
(Sorry again, but 'm sending you a pm too…so u dont miss out on the action…!!if atall theres sm…)

Ah, no problemo. Just messing with ya. Got to keep you young guns on your toes!

More in depth research into Human Factors could certainly help your career as it makes you stand out from the rest. But more importantly, it’s a tangible skill that many design firms are currently seeking. For instance, Metaphase (St. Louis) prides themselves for their experience working with ergonomics on products such as computer mice(mouse) and toothbrushes. They certainly know their stuff.

I can’t stress the “standing out” part enough. It’s incredibly important. How many more years does it take to get a Master’s in Human Factors? Two? If it had been 2001-2002, I would have said to go for it as the job market outright sucked. If you couldn’t find a job back then, might as well go back to school. But things have picked up, so you have options.

Some recent posts have hit on the topic of actually enjoying to design things and just trying to fit the designer steretype. Personally, I have found that I do much less research than I would have suspected to do when I was back in school. Such as it is, corporate life doesn’t give much time for drawing 9 hours a day. Everything has a tight deadline and unfortunately, research is at the end of the priority list. That doesn’t mean there aren’t places that spend enormous amounts of time developing ergonomic products, it’s just tough selling that extra time and money to the client.

Thanks 6ix,
your post was insightful…
I checked out ‘metadesign’ website and it was assuring to know that research is their forte!

Somehow its not that I’m too inclined or desperate to do research but yes its true that each one of us, when we started off in this field thought of doing something novel something that was unique …but as and when we became a part of the profession that spirit somehow transformed into meeting the client deadline(which you put as research being the last priority) …designing a product or ne design assignment for instance such that we came up with a solution that best suited the client requirement, impressed him with our presentations and celebtrated the following evening wid a couple of beers…I donno bt you but yes I have been a part of this for quite sometime now…and somehow feel that this was not exactly what I had thought of when I aspired to be a designer…

Its true that this may lead to some really brilliant concepts, which might be the norm for the future designers to follow or some really trend setting aesthetic work that gives face to the products of the next gen…!!

But now I feel that its the right time that I give myself some space, think about some deeper issues related to design …and what better way and a place than a good school !!..and yes ur right its a 2yr course…

If possible lemme know somemore such firms, wud be nice to know what kinda projects they r into n stuff…thanks…

Warm regards…
(and this time i’m not posting u a pm… :slight_smile: )