A question for employers

I am a recent graduate of pratt’s MID program and have embarked on a full-time job search. I know that traditional methods would be to use career services and job bulletins… but are there any other non-traditional methods of job searching?

As an employer, how do you respond towards unsolicited portfolios and resumes? Is there a better procedure which doesn’t put you on the defensive… and therefore are more open to spending a few moments reviewing a potential employee’s work?

would it be easier at this point to inquire about internships… to get my foot in the door? or be more agressive and ask for a full-time position?

…target 3-6 local employers for whom you would really like to work and keep chipping away at them…get a contact on the inside some way…be creative but ethical…get your name and/or resume distributed to the right people…find out who they are, stay in contact with them…phone, e-mail, snail-mail, lunch, buy them a drink after work, do a freelance job for them, what ever…just don’t show up at their home without an invite…that would be stalking and that would be bad…

I agree with MRD. Find the people you are working with and contact them. If you get your resume to HR, it’ll just end on a pile.

That’s why maintain good relationship with friends, teachers and previous employers are very important. Sometimes they write recommendation letters or even offer you a position at other locations.
IDSA events, Green drinks, friends’ parties and simple dinner events are all precious and important. Not because to find the job but to maintain good relationships.
My previous two years at Pratt… it was tough honestly. I was busy working for part time, commuting back and fourth but also I didn’t have much friends to fit in. Luckly finishing all the projects on time helped me to give good impression on professors, and this eventually linked to find a job at the end.
Don’t be a “switch” kind of person. I always didn’t like people who turn on and off by their own need. I believe relationship is a path that is covered by tall grass. You need to keep walk on it to make a visible road.