A good deal?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=112154&Sku=E400-T2865

I’m moving out of my house and need to buy a computer for school. My first year is foundation arts and then I will be going into ID. I don’t know all that much about computers…but this seemed like a decent deal…am i wrong?

If so, could anyone point me in the right direction of a better machine…I’m working with about $800 canadian…

THANKS!

E-machine? hmm…

I say go to school first and see what exactly you need the computer for then decide the spec to buy.

Also, with less than a thousand dollars, it’s hard to get what you need to run things smoothly with all those graphic and cad programs.

eMachines is kicking ass with their new laptops, but I wouldn’t touch one of their desktop PCs.

Save money and build your own. You can put together a very fast Athlon XP system for around $700 US.

thanks for the input…now…me not knowing a great deala bout computers…how would I go about “building” one?

Do you mean go to a custom computer shop? or do you mean buy all the parts myself from various sources and assemble it?

Thanks again,
-n8

Go to school first, see what programs you will be using, and what programs you will be finding on your own. Each of the software manufactures list compatible machines and hardware configurations. Once you know which programs you will be using in class and which ones you can afford or find you can get a list of “certified” hardware for each, cross reference the hardware (mainly graphics cards) and select the best one you can afford. Majority of Modeling software glitches come from graphics card or computer configuration and compatibility issues.

Having a computer built can save you money, however there is a reason the software companies test entire machines, with different hardware and settings. I personally ran into an issue were I had a system built by a local custom computer company. I selected only certified (By Solidworks and Pro/engineer) components. Yet I could not run either program properly. Computer cost $1,900 (save @ $450 from the DELL), and I had to pay my PTC support vendor $1,200 for him to completely reconfigure the configuration and XP setup to run CAD programs properly, and even utilize the $700 graphics card to its full capabilities. The computer company configured everything as a gaming computer, and disabled the OpenGL capability of the card focusing instead on DirectX capability.

I learned to only purchase workstations certified MCAD ready…Dell, HP, and even now some AlienWares.

Just my opinions and experiences though.