4th Year Portfolio.

Hey Guys,

I just finished re vamping my portfolio. I was wondering if I could get some outside feedback.

I have had the opportunity to intern at 3 awesome corporate jobs. However, this time around I am trying to get an internship at a consultancy. I have an idea of what consultancy are looking for in a portfolio/intern, and tried to showcase these skills a bit more.

As for feedback and crictism, lay it on. (Things that could be re-worked, pages that are a bit tough to read? Too much process, not enough? Page Hierarchy? More technical/thinking sketches? Take out projects?, etc)

Thanks everyone.

Hi !
very good. I often dislike students´ portfolios that are posted here, but i do like yours.
it is fresh, has a “loose” style (thats good). your sketches are good in their very own way, look very quick but exact. looks like you draw digitally even initially ?
i like the childrens´seat, although i like the “stance” of the keysketch better than the final product. but its great that they produced it. the bicycle is very nice, very solid design work, a lot better than the many crappy student bike designs. also that you built it is great.

For my personal taste, the portfolio is a bit too long. If you can find 10 pages or so to cut down, i´d consider that a good thing.
e.g. i wouldnt take the time to look at the research. although i understand that you want to state you did it. also the shoe projects at the beginning can be presented shorter i think. just dont put too much stuff on one page.
oh, and as a recruiter, i would like to see a picture of you in the folio.
btw, if you shorten the thing, you´ll have something new to show in an interview too, which could be good.

the folio is not on the “styling side” which is a good thing when you think of “sketch-only”-projects. other than that, i´d look into freeforms a little too, if i were you. although this style you have fits to IDEO etc… which you could also concentrate on (carry on your style). your decision. a lot of other consultancies look a lot if you can sketch (quickly). that is shown a little and could be shown a little more (maybe a little different style or kind of project, not more of the little linework thingies.). i like your sketches, only thing is they look quite clinical sometimes because of the cleanness. again, this is a good thing on one side, too. if you dont sketch like everyone else or messy or so.

i like the layout style with the big pictures in between, hope you know what i mean.

Overall, if I was in the position to, I´d consider hiring you, which i´m very critical at. Also the waldo thing is a smart idea to make people look again. even chief designers are like that, playful and curious. good decision to put waldo in the kiddy project, although not surprising. but it fits and makes the most sense. overall a friendly impression altogether, both work and person.

congrats so far, i think you´ll be doing very well.

Thanks, yeah Ive started to drift towards digital sketching, just makes a bit more sense, in terms of work flow. If I know im going to sit down and crank out a bunch of concepts. I’ll go digital. If its to ideate and just brainstorm, usually its pen and paper. I’m trying get some traditional sketches in my portfolio though. I’m going to go back and rework some of the sketches for the Holmatro Cutter. As those are a bit dated and will give me an opportunity to show more of my “thinking” sketches.

i like the childrens´seat, although i like the “stance” of the keysketch better than the final product. but its great that they produced it. the bicycle is very nice, very solid design work, a lot better than the many crappy student bike designs. also that you built it is great.

I agree with the stance comment. I had prototyped a model that reflected that key sketch. But it just wasn’t ergonomic enough. So in the end it had to be changed to what you see in order to be comfortable for the child.

As for the bike. It helped that our group had a few people who knew bikes really well. It allowed us to be a bit more practical with the design and kept us from making anything that was surely impossible. It might have limited us a tad bit, worrying to much about the feasibility of the concept, but in the end we were happy with the turn out.

For my personal taste, the portfolio is a bit too long. If you can find 10 pages or so to cut down, i´d consider that a good thing.
e.g. i wouldnt take the time to look at the research. although i understand that you want to state you did it. also the shoe projects at the beginning can be presented shorter i think. just dont put too much stuff on one page.
oh, and as a recruiter, i would like to see a picture of you in the folio.
btw, if you shorten the thing, you´ll have something new to show in an interview too, which could be good.

I agree, 40 pages is a tad bit long. But I had trouble figuring out what to cut. I’m trying to get the number count down a bit. But having a bit of trouble figuring out where to trim the fat. As for a photo of me, there are a few of me throughout the bike project and also one on my website. I’ll consider adding a photo, just gotta figure out a nice way to incorporate it.

the folio is not on the “styling side” which is a good thing when you think of “sketch-only”-projects. other than that, i´d look into freeforms a little too, if i were you. although this style you have fits to IDEO etc… which you could also concentrate on (carry on your style). your decision. a lot of other consultancies look a lot if you can sketch (quickly). that is shown a little and could be shown a little more (maybe a little different style or kind of project, not more of the little linework thingies.). i like your sketches, only thing is they look quite clinical sometimes because of the cleanness. again, this is a good thing on one side, too. if you dont sketch like everyone else or messy or so.

i like the layout style with the big pictures in between, hope you know what i mean.

Overall, if I was in the position to, I´d consider hiring you, which i´m very critical at. Also the waldo thing is a smart idea to make people look again. even chief designers are like that, playful and curious. good decision to put waldo in the kiddy project, although not surprising. but it fits and makes the most sense. overall a friendly impression altogether, both work and person.

congrats so far, i think you´ll be doing very well.

Yeah as I mentioned earlier, I’m going to show a bit more “thinking” styled sketches. To get away from the more refined sketching, and show a bit more range in my styles and types of sketching. I’ve gotten a bit of the same feedback from other peers and I agree with there comments. I’m thinking more along the lines of this. As a lot of my early ideation is a bit looser.

Also seeing as how many consultancy like the designers to adopt a similar sketching styles, in order not to sway clients views based on the sketch. I think it would be a good idea to show I can switch it up, if need be.

(Sketch from (Eleven)'s website)

Thanks for the critique. I got a lot of good ideas and insights from it.

I’ve noticed a lot of views, but no comments :open_mouth: I’d love to hear whatever people think.

Looks very nice! I agree with what Simon_says about the length, and I also wish there was an easier way to tell whether each new page was a continuation of the previous idea or a new idea . . . it’s pretty obvious after looking for a few seconds but not at first glance for all the pages.

Thought it was very good, and really concise. (especially the first “shoe” bit)

Liked the way you put the problem on a page all on its own i.e. “how can we make more people commute”

Think i’d tone down the bike prototype slightly. ie, slightly less info here might make you involvement in the the project easier to understand

The best addition was this line at the bottom
“by the way, Waldo is hiding in my portfolio”

It actually made me go through the whole thing again, looking for waldo (I didn’t find him though) Anything you can do that might make people spend more time with your work is good.

I don’t have much feedback. The work is solid and cleanly presented. You seem to have a natural sense of style to your work and layouts without anything being over styled. It just feels natural. My one point to think about would simply be to move the footwear deeper into the portfolio. SOME people see footwear and tune out a bit. It is strong footwear, but maybe if it is in the middle this won’t be an issue… or maybe it is less of an issue as other designers learn that creating something that performs on the body and has cultural relevance is just as hard as wrapping a PC board! It is all what you make of it.

@robbie_roy I’ll definitely look into unifying the project pages a bit more. It might be a good opportunity to play with color a bit.

@sdcrosla Thanks for that, I understand the bike project is a bit long. I’m currently working on condensing it further. Funny thing is, I almost took Waldo out of my portfolio. I’ve had him in my portfolio since sophomore year and most of my classmates were telling me to change it up and do something different. Glad people actually find it funny.

@yo Thanks for the feedback. I rearranged the portfolio a bit. I moved the footwear section to the end of my portfolio, figured since I was going for more of a product based internship, that moving them towards the end would be a better fit. Thanks for the suggestion.

I’d think about giving more breathing space between each project. When viewing this PDF at full screen, there’s a lot of stuff on every single page. The end of a project and the beginning of a project need a little space to let the viewer get some time to catch up (for example: http://cl.ly/0Q3o3w0s1R2j3z413E0o between bike and extraction). You have a solid theme going through, and good content, but it’s overwhelming the whole way through… not sure if it’s the amount of text or the lack of white space, or the strict grid layouts… take this with a grain of salt since I had to really think to come up with criticism.

Also the rule of the internet is something like for every 100 viewers, only one contributes. Couldn’t find the statistic, but don’t stress out with views don’t match up with replies.

Thanks Julius, I understand that the comments to view ratio is always really off. But if someone mentions it in their thread. I always feel a bit guilty and usually throw down a quick response, instead of my normal. “I’ll come back and write something later.” :sunglasses: