3wheeler

Mcrides, as someone who drove a 914 for five years at the height of the SUV craze in the southern USA, I can attest to people never seeing me. However, when one drives defensively, they should always assume others haven’t seen them. That rule goes double when you are in a small car.

I understand your concern, and indeed, most Americans agree. A driver feels more vulnerable in a low car. That feeling, unfortunately, has killed most intentions to sell small cars in the US.

At first, I thought you were refering to the low ride height, which is a problem on low cars. I remember my mother’s '92 Camaro used to scrape on every driveway. Very embaressing and discomforting for the new car owner. My 914 never had that problem however because of short overhangs and an ample ground clearance. So in this regard, it’s simply the designer’s styling should come second to real-world practicality (in my preference anyways).

Lastly, I think the GX3 had a chance in the market as a niche product. More in Europe than the US. It reminds me of this product from a decade ago:

The problem in the US is that people expect more car for their money. Although, perhaps the release of the Elise, Atom, Mini and Smart are heralding a return in direction. Perhaps American’s are staging a revolt at their dealers?

I have no comment accept, WTF :unamused:

i have a friend here in LA with an ariel atom. that car is a sensory overload at speed. he has the supercharged ecotec version. you have to wear a hemet, goggles at the minimum. the sound of the intake behind your right ear, add the whine of the s/c under load, it’s just intimidating as hell. the car corners fabulously, never harshly. that SOB even got it registered as a kit car. :laughing: the looks you get driving the freeways in it are hillarious.

forgot to add…you can build your own 7 from a miata

Generally, on a motorcycle, the front brake is the first to be applied … but I have to believe, in this case, it would be the instrument of last resort.

At least there’s no windshield to impede ones egress over the handlebars. :open_mouth:

hardcore stuff: Monster Garage inspired?

http://www.martinomotorcompany.com/

Great 3 wheeler site

http://reversetrike.com/home.html

http://spyder.brp.com/

Brochure:
http://spyder.brp.com/NR/rdonlyres/FC920775-388C-4716-8D86-08FABCBD90FA/0/SpyderWebBrochure.pdf

As a motorcyclist with 40 years of riding experience, some of it in the industry itself, I have to ask myself, “What is the attraction of these vehicles?” In part it must be the unique appearance of the machine, possibly the attention in draws to the rider, or maybe the lure of operating something different . I do find them interesting, and it would be fun to ride one.

But given the reality of modern commuting, and driving in general, how much fun would we be having on the way to work? I have ridden, year-round, in the midwest, and on the left coast, in all weather conditions; but stuck in traffic on a cold, or rainy morning (or any morning for that matter) when I can’t “split lanes” isn’t very attractive … Out for an afternoon ‘cruise’ and stuck in traffic … not very attractive either.

By definition, a three-wheeler is a “motorcycle”, and by my definition, a motorcycle should be agile. Waiting for mama, in the car ahead of me, to finish applying her make-up while she yaks with her girlfriend, all the while cursing the moron behind me who can’t seem to maintain a reasonable distance from my ass isn’t my idea of “quick moving and nimble”.

Then again, if we’re talking about a closed race course …

I few years ago I was asked to design a fun looking Cabin Scooter three wheeler called TERCYCLO and this is their new website:

http://www.tercyclo.it/

I saw one of these in the street today:

(I wasn’t fast enough with my camera, so it missed out on the “in your neighbourhood” thread)

It pulled away from the curb just like a motorcycle, so I think the attraction may be motorcycle handling with stationary stability, though if you can’t manage a few hundred kilos at the lights, should you be riding a bike in traffic?

That said, a combination motorbike/ openwheeler might be be a new morphology.

behold, here comes the mighty trike :wink:

There must be something about that 3 wheeler trend, as Morgan decided to
bring back those guys:

With a gap off roughly 40 years since production was haltet this must be one of the
longest hibernation periods before the reintroduction of a product.

mo-i

P.S.: Did I say 40? Make that 60 years! Crazy Brits, them.

Lets stop beating around the bush here:
2010-bmw-s1000rr-pic-16_460x0w.jpg

Lets stop beating around the bush here:

Okay. But where’s the third wheel?

And I can’t believe that Morgan would so closely mimic the original considering other contemporary 3-wheelers, like the Ace Cyclecar. Talk about “fashionably late”; they came to the retro-party about 60 years late.

2012 Morgan

Ace

Okay. But where’s the third wheel?

And I can’t believe that Morgan would so closely mimic the original considering other contemporary 3-wheelers, like the Ace Cyclecar. Talk about “fashionably late”; they came to the retro-party about 60 years late.

I guess I’m just trying to say that the very idea of a 3-wheeler is flawed. You get all the extra weight of a 4-wheeler without being able to put the power down properly. Plus there is always the possibility of tipping the thing over. The old Morris 3-wheelers were renowned for that. And watching Wayne Gardner pilot a Can-am around Philip island at the Motogp last year really affirmed that they are pointless as he nearly tipped the thing over on every corner.
The only positive I’ve heard about one of those things is of an older man who couldnt handle the weight of a bike any more due to arthritis. The Can-Am let him continue riding.
but for the rest of the able-bodied public…buy an ariel atom or a bike…don’t compromise

I guess I’m just trying to say that the very idea of a 3-wheeler is flawed. You get all the extra weight of a 4-wheeler without being able to put the power down properly. Plus there is always the possibility of tipping the thing over. The old Morris 3-wheelers were renowned for that. And watching Wayne Gardner pilot a Can-am around Philip island at the Motogp last year really affirmed that they are pointless as he nearly tipped the thing over on every corner.
The only positive I’ve heard about one of those things is of an older man who couldnt handle the weight of a bike any more due to arthritis. The Can-Am let him continue riding.
but for the rest of the able-bodied public…buy an ariel atom or a bike…don’t compromise

I bet that V-Twin is good for crash safety.

I guess I’m just trying to say that the very idea of a 3-wheeler is flawed.

You’re “preaching to the choir” Mike! :wink:

My two-wheeler…

Ha! fair enough. Nice set of wheels