3D modeling software suggestions

I am looking to expand my 3D modeling software skills + beef up my resume at the same time. My school taught me Form-Z. While browsing job postings daily on coroflot I have noticed Form-Z is not a widely used program, if at all. I have noticed that Alias, SW, Rhino + PRO E are commonly listed as recommended or required skills. Which of these should an Junior/Entry-level Designer with 6 months experience choose to enhance their skills.

Even though I have graduated with a B.S. degree can I still purchase Education al software? I found an Educational seat license for Alias Studio Tools for a cheap price. Meaning, tell them I am still in school and purchase it to learn it and add it to my resume.

Thank you!

Rhino and probably Solidworks to a lesser extent.

Even though I have graduated with a B.S. degree can I still purchase Education al software? I found an Educational seat license for Alias Studio Tools for a cheap price. Meaning, tell them I am still in school and purchase it to learn it and add it to my resume.

Nope, you need to be currently enrolled in classes at some kind of educational institution. They always ask for a copy of your current class schedule.

ykh thanks for the links

Thanks for list, ykh. Do you know of any with an “intuitive user interface” ala SketchUp, which seems to be more for architecture?

for power + ease of use, Rhino is probably the app of choice.

I dont know why so few people use FormZ. Is it the price? I found a few at cadtalent and a nibbles here, but its few and far between. To my mind it blows the competition out of the water for graphical apps.
You can get permission from dealers to purchase suites like Rhino and Solidworks at academic prices – you’d be supprised what you can do with a few phone calls or emails and a strategy. Something to the effect of your a former student looking to get into a professional situation and need …
The reason they make it cheap for students is so they’ll be supported by the industry; sell it this way. You could also cheat by going to your bookstore with your college ID (if you still have it), or enroll at a CC and drop the classes a few weeks later, before the drop deadline – but this is certainly not legal.