3D Model of Human Head

Hi. New to the group. If anyone can help me with this, you guys can.

I’m looking for a CAD model of the human head for use in a headset project. 5th and 95th percentile representaions would be ideal. I’ve found some information in VRML but can’t convert it. I’ve also found examples of laser-scans but, again, can’t convert the .ply files from Cyberware. Anyone?

TIA,
-Jon

A few years ago I was using a program called “POSER” for things like that, don’t remember who made it, check if it’s still around. Essentially, it let you “play” with 3D human models and exported a variety of formats.

Hope this helps.

Curious Labs Poser 5 has all of the sizing options you are looking for with 3D male and female heads. It has the ability to export many different kinds of polygon meshes. If you are wanting a surface nurbs model then you will have to convert the polygon models in a seperate program like Maya, 3DS Max or Lightwave.

Here is a link to the product site:
http://www.curiouslabs.com/article/articleview/1091/1/420?sbss=420

Daz3D also works with a lot of different Poser models.

Good luck[/img]

Hmmm, Poser5, eh? So I can input anthropometric data to modify existing models of heads? That’s rad… as long as it’s possible to import into Solidworks. Anyone care to comment some more on the output formats for this software?..igs is prefered.

TIA,
-Jon

We have just sourced real head scan data from a data set called CAESAR http://www.hec.afrl.af.mil/HECP/Card4.shtml

It isn’t cheap. 100 males and 100 females was $4500 US but it’s well worth it if the budget can handle it. I am working on a medical head set device and we really needed super accurate measurements. You can’t go past this data set.

I started down the road of using samples in Rhino etc… even poser, it’s tough to get a real accurate true population samples. We are medical based so FDA doesn’t want to see you got your info from these places.

If you want to chat about it with me some more: scott_external@yahoo.com.au

Dragonfly… Unfortunately Poser only exports poly meshes. The best export option is .obj, this way the surface textures are exported with it. You will have to convert the poly surface to a Nurbs Surface in another program. I use Maya to do this. Once you get it converted you can export it as an *.igs file and inport it into solidworks. Works like a charm to model around or just render a nice scene with a head in it.

thanks for CAESAR data link. d/l’d full body sample in iges, stl and obj. pro/e chokes on iges. reads stl but looks a mess. Maya imports iges, but no surfaces that i can see. site mentions iges problems. suspect no surfs is choking pro/e. read in the obj data. looks better. trying to edit it now. only ~278k tri’s. not too bad. might try conversion to nurbs later. doubt it will work.

should be doing other things but was too good not to take a look. thanks again for link.

okay. here’s the head imported into Maya.

to our Guest - how are you working with this? looks a mess to me. and this was better than the .stl in Pro/E. only about 253,000 tri’s after deleting machine markers. thats not bad for spinning model in Maya, but is way low for a model. high-rez game models for normalmaps are over a million. would expect the data to be much better.

Blender3D (freeware)
Has a module called MAKEHUMAN
basicaly creates a full human for you…
you give the parameters.
I’ve watched a person demonstrate it… looked quite impressive.
www.blender3d.org

need to take a look at makehuman. see what it gives.

dug this out. had started personal project to make a head in Pro. this was old polygon head i did in Maya. smoothed and converted to NURBs. imported to Pro as a test (no ears). made solid. maybe i should restart project.

sorry I have been late to reply. I have a .obj importer for Swks which helped a little. The supplier of the data can export in nurb format (more expensive) or as polygons in iges or .obj format. We went for polygons as we are only using the heads to extract curve geometry and it was the least expensive to process from the original scan information.

When exported from the original data they can export with any polygon count. It all comes down to req. res and ability for your machine to handle the file information. We are using 10k. Some heads come in with open and messy surfaces but all in all I found them very useful for what we’re doing.

In my research for this kind of info we found ways of using these configurable heads but by the time you input all the geometry data into each head to create a real user population you will blow through lots of cash. The supplier (General Dynamics) have statiticians that help formulate true user data from your criteria. We are working on a Glaucoma device so we have a very defined user market. These are real heads and you can’t hide from the relaity they offer.

If anyone needs more info on this, feel free to email me scott_external@yahoo.com.au it’s also my msn.

may have a way to convert those .ply files on CAESAR site. haven’t tested conversion myself. may be a while. but if interested in using the .ply files, drop me a PM. i can pass on link to convertor and someone else’s comments on using.

turned out to be simple enough. and iges works. but it generates extreme filesizes. over 200Mb for #82. the tri count for the obj is shown too.