3D Design at Cranbrook?

Hey, guys! I’m planning to apply to the 3D Design program at Cranbrook this fall. Anyone here a current student? I’m curious to know more about it, especially Scott Klinker (the head of the program), facilities, and the student body. So, if anyone has any thoughts, please share with an eager applicant!

If you’re looking specifically for Cranbrook students and alumni, maybe you should try asking your questions on their site, Cranbrook Design. I think this site is more geared towards Pratt students and alumni.

actually this site is not geared toward pratt students, and there have been many heated (HEATED) discussions over Cranbrook. Just type in Cranbrook in the forum search:

heres a few:

if your curious about scott klinker, he wrote this short essay, which sheds some light on his philosophy and values:

If you’re interested in sculpture that pretends to be ID, go to Cranbrook. If you’re serious about practicing ID professionally, I’d suggest you look elsewhere. Find a school with classes, teachers, and actual projects, for goodness sake.

Wow, I had no idea they taught fake design. I was certain after I graduated I was on the cutting edge, but I guess not. Thanks for the insight Baloney.

If you seek to study Industrial Design at Cranbrook then that is exactly what you would study, and you will leave there with an education that will be unmatched. Unmatched because all educations are different.

Baloney virulently said “Find a school with classes, teachers, and actual projects, for goodness sake.”

At Cranbrook there are groups of designers from many parts of the design spectrum all teaching and learning from each other, constantly pushing and challenging your decisions on YOUR projects that YOU decide upon, not a teacher.

It is very independent, very fast pace, and very rewarding.

So are any of you current or recent students from Cranbrook? I’m interested in some accounts of what it’s like to go to school there. Obviously, I’m curious what it’s like to learn without any classes. Please tell me what you know!

Cranbrook is really fantastic if:

1. you already have ideas you want to explore that may or may not be exactly “commercial”.
  2. you want to be surrounded by people who are passionate about what they are doing.
  3. you have a great work ethic and do not need someone to tell you what to do.
  4. you are independent in thinking and quite opinionated
  5. want to go to a school that has tremendous design history, alumni, faculty…additionally, the campus is exceedingly beautiful
  6. design is a calling for you

Certainly, as with all schools, it is not all roses, and Cranbrook too has some problems. But, there are so few schools that readily embrace radical designers who push the edge of design, vs. churn out designers for corporate consumption. It is really a great place that fosters, encourages and supports those who want and need to explore design.

It’s definitely not for pretenders as Baloney has mentioned. The sacrifice to succeed is tremendous, but as was also mentioned, the rewards are unmatched.

Cranbrook is really fantastic if:

1. you already have ideas you want to explore that may or may not be exactly “commercial”.
  2. you want to be surrounded by people who are passionate about what they are doing.
  3. you have a great work ethic and do not need someone to tell you what to do.
  4. you are independent in thinking and quite opinionated
  5. want to go to a school that has tremendous design history, alumni, faculty…additionally, the campus is exceedingly beautiful
  6. design is a calling for you

Certainly, as with all schools, it is not all roses, and Cranbrook too has some problems. But, there are so few schools that readily embrace radical designers who push the edge of design, vs. churn out designers for corporate consumption. It is really a great place that fosters, encourages and supports those who want and need to explore design.

Couldn’t have said it better.

To Hopeful:
On the web site there is a way to contact both Students and Faculty by e-mail

Great! Since some of you sound like you have first-hand knowledge of Cranbrook, I hope you won’t mind answering some specific questions.

The school site mentions visiting critics and departmental travel. How strong of a presence do the visitors have? Do they tend to come for a day or longer? Do you ever work on special projects with them? Do you get comissions from companies? Is there funding available for travel? How often does the department go on trips, and what activities do they typically include?

I know the school has housing. Do most students live on-campus, or are there commuters as well? Is it preferred to live on-campus? What off-campus housing usually like, and how much does it cost?

If I need to learn new software, are there workshops avilable, or do I need to take a class at another school? Obviously, I’d rather not pay tuition at two different schools.

I’m interested in ceramic design. Is that something I could pursue with the ceramics department? What are the facilities available for that?

Thanks in advance for sharing your knowledge with me!

Hopeful, go to the Cranbrook 3-D design website and email some of the current students with your questions, then you will get first hand what ever it is that you are looking for. That is the most direct way for you to find out about Cranbrook if you are really that interested. this way you don’t get opinion you get fact, it sounds like that is what you are looking for.

hopeful sounds strange

I’m curious, what’s the connection between the school and the Detroit auto industry?

http://www.cranbrookart.edu/site/news.html – scroll down to cranbrook in berlin

Hey guys sorry to barge in like this but i really had no other go, i mean so long for the many replies i just keep getting more questions then answers HELP ME OUT HERE WILL YA.i have finally narrowed down the search for ID schools in Spring and they are as follows.

Please let me know the positives and negatives of all.people who have attended these schools do put in ur honest comments.

Cranbrook academy ID
North carolina state university ID>
Illinois institute of technology ID
academy of art
san jose state ID
Sanfrancisco state university
SCAD
RMIT(australia).

Any other good ones please let me know…

DO reply people this is a forum for christs sake.I really need advice and help.

Cheers

I don’t know about the other schools, but I don’t think Cranbrook does spring admission, if that’s what you’re getting at. Or are you talking about applying in the spring?

Your chosen schools seem all over the place in terms of philosophy. Cranbrook is really conceptual. IIT seems more pragmatic. I’m not sure about the quality of the programs at SCAD, Academy of Art, SFSU, NC State, or SJSU. Have you looked at RISD, Art Center, or CCA?

Hey, guys. In case you’re wondering about current and recent work coming out of the Cranbrook 3D Design department, here’s an exhibit at Felissimo Design House in New York City. It’s called New Narratives, and it’s up through the end of October. I recently had the opportunity to check it out, and there was some definitely interesting and original work on display.

http://www.felissimo.com/designhouse/happeningsEvents.cfm

If anyone happens to catch this, I’m interested to hear your opinions of the work. Some of the designers in the exhibit definitely seem like ones to watch.