3D CAD Software that could make me more 'Bankable'

Okay, my university teaches us Rhino and Solid Edge.

I’ve noticed that not to many ID places in the UK use these as standard; there seems to be quite are range of both software type and software cost. I was wondering if anybody has any idea what 3DCAD package on your CV would make you the most ‘bankable’ when out touting your skills to the current UK design market.

Sorry I don’t know exactly what software UK firms use, but I would imagine it would be similar to the US.

Alot of firms will use Solidworks or ProEngineer. Some firms even us Alias or StudioMax for high-end rendering.

However, files from Solidworks and ProE tend to transfer easier for manufacturing as compared to other software.

SolidEdge is hardly used in industry. I would stick to the big four… Solidworks proe rhino alias studio. Maybe Maya for the cool factor.

Europe is about the same with the additon of Catia.

Keep in mind skills learned in one application often carry over fairly quickly to another. Most companies will want to see that you have an understanding of both surface and solid modelling.

As was mentioned Solidworks, Rhino, and Alias are all very big. There are lots of others out there like Catia, Pro E, Unigraphics NX, that are widely used, especially in more engineering based companies, but I wouldn’t count yourself off a job if you can still prove that you understand the fundamentals.

It also doesn’t hurt to learn a rendering application like Max, Maya, or Maxwell (M’s much?) to show that you can make your nice models look good too.

Software can be learned and in all reality is not a major factor in hiring; at least in the US. Unless you are applying for a CAD designer of Design Engineer (CAD Monkey) possition.

What will make you “More Bankable” is perfecting your thougth processes, creative problem solving, and communication both verbal and visual (ie sketching.

I know many designers who are working for the main players in the indusrty who only had limited experiace with Rhino, Cobalt, 3D max, or Think3D prior to graduating. The companies understand that there is a learning, but if they see the creativity, professionalism, and raw talent they are willing to invest.

CAD is only a tool, and only a tool for communicating with manufacturing. when Designers lean to heavily on the CAD aspect of their design process the final design ultimatly suffers.