2D Graphic skills

i’ve spent my years – since high school – using CorelDraw, FreeHand and Illustrator to create vector drawings of various parts/products etc… Later for employment (automotive installation manuals), but it’s also still a hobby.

Do any of these vector programs have any use in the world of ID? Or should I not really work with them anymore and concentrate only on 3D tools (Rhino, etc) and rapid hand-sketching?

*I am focusing on furniture and housewares.

thanks!

The softgoods industry uses a great deal of 2D programs like Illustrator and Photoshop. Maybe you would want to look there.

Thank you! I will look into that some more.

Good grief… yes! I use illustrator almost daily, A guy that works for me uses illustrator for renderings that is Way faster than Photoshop with comparable quality. A bit move Cartoons , but awesome none-the-less.

Watch design studio…they use CorelDraw for concept generation presentation

ADD

What’s design studio? A tv show?

IP: What line of ID do you work in specifically? Do you use a lot of CAD/3D modelers as well?

I own a consultancy. We design primarily high tech products. Our workflow starts in 2D (sketching, etc), do 2D layouts in Rhino and then bring them into Illustrator and/or Photoshop, then move to 3D. Depending on the project, client, etc, we will use the 2D lines within Rhino for the 3D. Others we’ll take the model into Pro/e or Solidworks right away. Every project is different, every project needs flexibility. Knowing design and manufacturing is key to our process. Learning the 3D program is something that can be acquired through a few days of training and one or two projects.

Don’t get wrapped up in the program.

Your works sounds very interesting IP. Did you start your consultancy straight out of school or did you work many years somewhere else?

10 years or so working for others.

Started my company 2 years ago with 3 others.

I use illustrator for all of the storytelling parts of the presentation. Also for any presentation level drawings (if there is no time for 3-d). It’s absolutely essential for clean explanation drawings and depending on your skill, can be used for really good quick renderings.
I’d personally put illustrator in my “must know” toolbox. it will help you out a lot in the long run.

Skinny: I love vector illustration! I’m glad I won’t have to give it up totally if/when I get a job.

ip_wirelessly
PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:33 pm Post subject:
10 years or so working for others.

Started my company 2 years ago with 3 others.

IP: Good for you dude! There’s nothing like following your ambitions. unfortunately I’m just a few years from 30, and JUST NOW starting school for ID. I wish that I had known about this field back when I was first starting college.

Just make sure you can use it quickly. You may run into resistance if a particular place doesn’t use it and insists on more traditional methods saying that illustrator is too slow. You may have to show them that they’re wrong and sell the point that it can be a lot faster for certain situations, especially for form refinement and variations.

Meh…I would argue that being a bit older will play to your advantage.

As for following ambitions…its called severance.