1HDC v1.1 - Discussion

Hi everyone,

For me this has been an interesting challenge! And is great to hear others opinions.
I am a top recycler myself living in London, UK.

Where I used to live before, my family grew everything; we made our own bread and cheese, recycled the left over food too and even made cushions and toys out of the clothes we didn’t want (there were some freakish looking teddies but it was a bit of fun). Now I live in a flat in London, but I haven’t a garden and I use Tesco (a big supermarket store) as they have a big recycling point for everything.

The only problem I have now is the recycling of left over food.

But enough of my life and to the challenge:

• I agree with many of the points mentioned already, getting a trolley involves a £1.00 ($2.036) deposit in London.
  • The existing tough big bags you can buy in store cost too but you can re-use them. There is a hassle when carrying them to the store and if you are buying for more then one person too.
  • There is also the trouble of when they brake and recycling them.
  • Some people also mentioned they re-use the bags for bins in their home.
    I think they are still going to end up in dumps, and most of the carry bags are not biodegradable.
  • Also there are a lot of times where the cashier is handing me a bag or has already packed my one item in a plastic bag which is a bit frustrating even if it is in a company promoting recycling.

My vote –
Jconcept and craigbrookes - I did enjoy their ideas of using the bags as a stuffing for a seat or insulation, it would take a large amount of bag to do one seat or a whole house, which is good, but it is also flammable.
Angryconsumerism - I like because it seems it’s a fun way to pick up your items at the end. It would need a lot of good organisation for the shopping to meet the right person at the end thou.

I think making consumers aware of plastic bags is a good thing and possibly by changing the way we shop could also help this world in the amount of plastic bags being thrown away. Such a product known as the ‘Granny Trolley’ is has been redesigned Latest gadgets news - breaking gadgets news, leaks and updates which is so great to see because it’s a great way to carry your items when you have finished a long day. It does need you to carry it to the shop, but if it was able to fold into an other product or easy to carry form this could ultimately replace bags.

I just wanted to also comment lightly on my submission - Sem, I didn’t realise there already existed bag sandals and zippyflounder it’s not about the legs, it’s just about eliminating the existing plastic bags. It was based on an article I read and I guess, from my culture and what I have been taught from my family. I just put myself into that situation and thought what I would do.

quick thought-

(i think i caught the pessimism bug from zippy…i prefer to call it realism/practicality…anyhow…)

as for any of the concepts that re-use the bags (shoes, stuffing, etc.), wont they also end up in the dump at some point? seems more like it delays the issue, than gets rid of it. just saying that 2 years re-use doesnt really make a dent in the grand scheme of biodegration.

still going through all the concepts trying to pick my vote…

R

I agree with Richard here, by all means find ways of re-using old plastic bags instead of using virgin plastic but it doesn’t actually solve the problem and only perpetuates a wasteful society…it’s like saying it’s fine to still produce the same amount of waste because we can now make things from it. What works is what actually significantly reduces the amount you’re producing in the first place, whether that be through taxing on new bags, reusing old ones again (although that is dependant on there being a supply of new ones to top up with when the old ones wear thin) or carrying re-useable bags around with you.

I cant remember who said it before but the issue is really a cultural one, we’re not really going to become sustainable until we’re all subsistent farmers growing our own food and making our own things! That’s very unlikely to happen fully but people are starting to do it (check out the urban farming at the Dott 07 festival this month in the UK).

We really need to hammer home basic common sense to people - rather than using a plastic bag why not re-use a proper durable one, whether its in your jeans or you remember to take your rucksack with you or you have a collection of reuseable bags in your car when shopping for a family. Whatever, just think a little bit!

hamish I agree with you. Creating more uses for the plastic bag may even INCREASE production of them (as impossible as that would be).

In my opinion, the solution should be something that eliminates the demand for plastic bags altogether. After the transition is made, THEN we can find ways to recycle/reuse the plastic bags that are left.

I wish there was a topic just for voting, this is getting too cluttered with abstact thoughts, feelings, and drama.

anyhoo- i am voting for nerdtronic

i tought this was an excellent product that creates a segway for using reusable bags; lots of people like to make lists so let that be a container for reusable bags, very cool.

asthetically appealing as well, good job!

in response to zippyflounder in the submissions thread:

good point. I didn’t that far in my 15 minutes (including thinking), but slight modifications wouldn’t be difficult.

“rain, snow” → add a protective cover housing the conveyor belt. if the rain and snow is referring to the people, a tarp could be added. this would also solve the issue that grocery stores have slow days on rainy days
“boosting your stuff” → add a protective cover housing the conveyor belt, and pay at the belt. upon paying, the compartment will open and you can get bought items out. this could eliminate human cashiers altogether.
“rattling in your trunk” → from this implementation, cars easily could add removable compartments in the trunk.

so the system is as follows:

• find items to buy
  • put on belt, punched in which conveyor belt to send it to
  • belt scans items
  • go to car while the protected conveyor belt drops the items off in a compartment by your car.
  • pay for items (through card,
  • open compartment and get items
  • load up items in car (which has removable compartments)
  • take home

(+):

• eliminates bags, baggers and cashiers
  • less effort in taking items to car
  • physical hardware is readily available, and cheaper than normal system
    (-):
  • refrigerator might need to be placed closer to garage

note: i do not expect that these slight modifications be considered in the contest. just for sake of argument.

is mine simply being overlooked on this whole items arrive at your car? plz check page 2, its geting rather annoying being overlooked.

It is 99% the same clumsy conveyor belt system is left underground where u cant see it, instead u simply interact with the pillar\ serving station at the end, where u pick up your food from.

A reminder about how the prize is determined this time around:

Jury:
Winner will be selected by the Core77 Admin. Community discussion is
encouraged to help ensure the best design wins

The discussion and your “vote” will help direct the Core77 Admin towards the selection of the winner. But we’re not counting votes this go around.

To that point. I owe everyone a HUGE thank you. This round of the 1HDC has produced some stuff that I find far more valuable than an iPod. The discussion that has been sparked from this topic has been fantastic. More than I ever anticipated when I originally came up with the 1HDC concept.

I, frankly, am not looking forward to making the choice of who wins in this one. It is going to be tough. We are aiming for early next week to announce the winner. With travel and other things going on, we can’t get a concensus until then.

very true, however if you look at the problem more locally, the use of plastic bags could be more of a functional solution to a problem. for example, i think curiousme’s idea about using the plastic bags as shoes in third world countries makes a lot of sense.

In principle using the plastic bags for an extra two years, could provide employment, extended use of a material and make further use out of something before it’s completely recycled.

At the end of the day, through this competition there are going to be more products. These products can either use plastic bags or remove the need for plastic bags. I guess the only ultimate solution is to create a plastic bag alternative with recycled plastic bags. Isn’t the plastic bag perfect, except for the fact that it’s not biodegradable? Make them biodegradable and violla, the perfect solution.

I completely disagree with the point thet you use plastic bags for your convenience and then dump them in " third world countries" in any form you may choose shoes…bags etc what kind of an attitude is that!!!

people in third wold countries i think already use their resources thoughtfully as they have the scarcity…there are still people who carry cloth bags for veggies and grocery…

as we might all agree…plastic is a wonder material and not bad in itself…if we use plastic bags which are thicker, durable (of higher micron size) and attractive…we can have best of both worlds.

the plastic bags are not ‘dumped’, but in the country already.

the shoes are just one example of using waste bags which clutter dumps and landfills the world over.

I think you’ll find that in less economically developed countries they do not have nearly the same problem with waste bags as the West does…and if you are not giving them plastic bags to make shoes out of (which seems to me very, very condescending and insulting…am I the only one???) then the idea does absolutely nothing to solve our own problems.

Also, with regards to biodegradeable ones, do you really think its a good idea to make people think even less about what they’re throwing away? It still takes energy to create them and there is debate about how areas of forest are being cleared to grow the plants used to create the bio-plastic…same with bio-fuel, we can’t just expect to keep living an unsustainable lifestyle, people need to seriously reconsider how they use energy and materials. I suggest a personal carbon credit system enforced by law - wouldn’t be popular at first but it might actually end up making people appreciate what they have a bit more. It seems general happiness was far greater when people had less, look up Barry Schwartz and ‘The Paradox of Choice’.

which will then clutter dumps and landfills when the shoes are garbage…

not to mention that many non-industrialized countries have radically different views of conservation and ecology. just take a trip to china and see all the post industrial waste spread all over the countryside and outside factories, when some could be recycled and you’ll understand.

keep in mind that 1st world thinking and solutions dont always translate to non-developed countries and social thinking…

R

check these out-

an interesting take on the reusable bag concept, with a little more style and consumer friendly approach to it.

something i could actually see someone buy/use.

http://www.notcot.com/archives/2007/10/rebag.php#more

not bad actualy, but let’s focus on the ideas that were proposed by participants of the 1HDC

Just to clarify with the ecojeans concept, I just did it for Levi’s to show how it could easily become a marketable solution, thereby becoming more desireable for the wider population who don’t normally think about sustainability. That being just one example, the detachable pockets could easily be used in other clothes, e.g jackets, etc. It would also be great on handbags or rucksacks, etc. (Just thinking to how I shop - if I know I’m going shopping I’ll take a rucksack but sometimes I buy more than I expect to so end up using a plastic bag as well - this would be a perfect place to have a couple of detachable bags).

My thinking behind the detachability was that you often forget to take reuseable bags with you but if they were designed into clothes or bags then it makes the activity much more natural and memorable.

So anyway, the idea was that eventually the majority of your clothes or bags would end up designed with the detachable pocket bags to meet your new sustainable lifestyle - sorry I should have made it more clear in the original submission!

If I were to submit another one I think I’d do it as a kit to adapt your own clothes, so it is not dependant on you buying more stuff! :smiley:

We could always make bags from paper made from hemp, a very renewable resource. However the side effect would be increased pollution from the excess of people suddenly burning the bags for some reason…

anyway after rereading a lot of these posts and viewing the entrants, I really don’t see how a viable solution would be another type of bag, paper, canvas or otherwise. if your personally owned canvas bag was going to be the ultimate solution it would be by now. It doesn’t really matter where you stash you bag until you need it, the bottom line is its not working.

The plastic bags are provided for convenience by the grocery store, so the solution will need to be provided by the store as well. just like when we decided paper bags used to many resources and that plastic would be better.

Maybe we should have looked at how the food gets from the distributer to the store, and then scaled that down, but then thats the hindsight again.

That’s the difficulty of the 1HDC, you en up having better ideas to improve your design after you’ve submitted your work.But I think if you take the time to do a smart thinking, analysing every aspect of the concept, you could have a clearer presentation of what you would like your product to be. I guess it’s to learn from for the next one!

Even though I submitted an entry into the contest, I must admit that I think the solution is already out there. It is a combination of reusable bags and store policy. I know at least one grocery store chain that does not stock any of those plastic bags. You either bring your own bags, or they’ll sell you a large, colourful, reusable one. As I recall, the price for their bags was prohibitive enough to discourage not bringing your own ones. (Sadly, that chain does not exist in Canada so I can’t shop there anymore.)

As for my picks, I’m leaning towards two in particular. The first is VanDeBar’s wallet bag. It’s like the bags-integrated-into-clothing concepts but with an accessory that you would have with you at all times. So having a bag with you is not dependant on what you felt like wearing that day. That being said, I’m not sure you can get a bag large enough to be useful without adding too much bulge to the wallet. But the bag-size/bulge ratio applies to the other bag-in-clothing concepts, as well.

I also like guobin85’s shaming scheme to put large, bold labels on the bags. It wouldn’t affect everyone, but I’m guessing that it would work on a lot of people who are on the fence about the issue. And for people who already have reusable bags but sometimes forget them, it would be an extra incentive to remember them. Plus, the concept gets bonus points for being so simple and not just creating another product.

By the way, thanks for the kind comments zt67638!

Are you suggesting that your submission is perfect and has no room for improvement, whatsoever, “analysing EVERY aspect of the concept” in your 1 hour? You must be very clever sem!