Close

frdiby
step two
step two

How to overcome experience?
- focus on your passion and show it in your portfolio
- don't give up
- pitch yourself with confidence in interviews and really prove to them why they need you

I was in this same boat, and after over 7 years of experience in an industry I had little interest in, I was able to jump into one I absolutely love. See my comments on this similar post:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36123

wvangelderen

frdiby wrote:How to overcome experience?
- focus on your passion and show it in your portfolio
- don't give up
- pitch yourself with confidence in interviews and really prove to them why they need you

I was in this same boat, and after over 7 years of experience in an industry I had little interest in, I was able to jump into one I absolutely love. See my comments on this similar post:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36123

Frdiby,

I just read your thread. Very inspiring!
What I have realized after going through the recession in Atlanta, is that well the jobs never really came back. ID isn't all dead here, but there just aren't any jobs, and the few that are posted are way too competitive. UX here has mostly gone the route ID was a few years back. Either its places looking for Senior / Director level UX with masters degrees requirements or working at a start up for nothing. I've been trying my hand at UX, but I almost feel like I've got to start completely over career wise to land something. Slowly I am starting to look elsewhere for jobs

frdiby
step two
step two

I just forgot one more that could really help in this situation
- build relationships with people you would like to work with

After all the typical "work on your portfolio" answers, this one will make up the rest of what you are lacking - and all of us are lacking in some way. At my current workplace, both the lead designer and I had previously reached out in a friendly way to specific people in the company months before a job opening.

wvangelderen

frdiby wrote:I just forgot one more that could really help in this situation
- build relationships with people you would like to work with

After all the typical "work on your portfolio" answers, this one will make up the rest of what you are lacking - and all of us are lacking in some way. At my current workplace, both the lead designer and I had previously reached out in a friendly way to specific people in the company months before a job opening.

Ive been working on the networking part. My last 2 gigs I networked in to those, which worked great. Unfortunately this time around I haven't had that kind of luck. I've had some great coffee meetings over the past few months, but they all have ended with, well my company isn't hiring, at the moment. Atlanta, from what I have seen is really in a bubble right now, too many candidates not enough jobs and well those like me have either moved, given up or changed to a different design field.

Previous

Return to design employment