Close

Finishing a chemiwood/prolab prototype

Postby AKgraphics » February 24th, 2005, 7:49 am

AKgraphics
step one
step one

Hiya, I'm about to export my CAD files to the CNC milling machine at school, (then wait a couple of days for it to finish cutting! sigh) and I was wondering, when it is complete, how do i visually finish the material?

(one of my teachers calls the material Prolab, our technician calls it Chemiwood ...its a brown, dense material)

We've only just got the 3-axis milling machine, and this new material (whatever its called), so no-one in the design department really knows how to finish it yet. The tutors said they'd look into it, I thought I'd get one step ahead of the game and see what you guys think!

Postby Lmo » February 24th, 2005, 2:49 pm

Lmo

Chemiwood is a urethane based material ... much like Renshape. it should respond well to automotive type coatings.

starting with a primer/surfacer > sanding > more primer/surfacer < final sanding out to 1000 > painting

if you have mating surfaces, make sure you take care not to over paint these areas to avoid interference between surface.
Lew Morris
"It's what you discover, after you know it all, that counts." _ John Wooden

New to the boards? Please read before you post ->Discussion Boards Posting Standards

Return to materials and processes