Close

madhero
step four
step four

Another city would be Minneapolis if you don't mind the cold/snow. great foodie, music, art/design scene.

NURB

madhero wrote:Another city would be Minneapolis if you don't mind the cold/snow. great foodie, music, art/design scene.

Seconded. Minneapolis (and the greater Twin cites rules)
Chris Haar

twitter:@chrishaar

Those who define design as knowing how to use Illustrator will be condemned to using Illustrator their entire career. - @monteiro

Sketchgrad
step three
step three

You seem to have covered what each city will have to offer your out of work life to incorporate you hobbies and social needs......but since this is an ID forum you haven't mentioned what sort of design you're in to as each of those cities drastically vary in what kind of work will be available.

Do you want to work in a consultancy or in house? In what sector...houseware, consumer electronics, footwear, packaging etc?

I think that information will be the next piece of the puzzle and we can narrow that city/state list down to 2 or 3 options?

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

If you are interested in the greater Chicagoland area, shoot me a pm. We are looking.

yo
Administration
Administration

I think one of his requirements were mild winters correct?

cwatkinson

well forget Wisconsin then, although we are always filling various openings at Georgia Pacific and our "traditional Industrial design roles" are based out of Atlanta.

Our RD facilities are in WI.

Jboogie941
step four
step four

Tampa Bay area here, shoot me a PM if you want to chat. Cheers

mholter

Denver is a desirable location, and be prepared to look outside of the role of Industrial Designer if you want to work there. It is growing at an accelerated rate. I have several friends who work there.

I would contact iDSA to help you with local intel for each region you are considering.

I heard TTI Floor-care is relocating Designers to Charlotte NC, which is also a perennial choice for "quality" of life

I currently live and work in Chicago.

slippyfish
full self-realization
full self-realization

If I were suddenly cut-loose from the various circumstances that have planted me in the Seattle area, I'd seriously entertain moving to either Austin or Miami.

Austin, for the reasons you listed above, plus when you order a shot of tequila in Austin, it tends to come in a half-full pint glass.

Miami actually has started to position itself as a sort of tech-hub, with tax breaks for tech companies and new office parks. For instance Magic Leap recently posted a couple jobs for ID which seems pretty drooly of an opportunity. Also a loooong time ago I turned down a job designing DJ equipment for a large audio manufacturer, based in Miami. Sometimes I don't know what the **** is wrong with me.
“Traveling through hyperspace isn't like dusting crops, boy."

http://www.superformer.com
http://www.coroflot.com/skhid

iab
full self-realization
full self-realization

2 months and counting.

Still haven't filled 2 senior positions.

cwatkinson

iab wrote:2 months and counting.

send me a PM with a link or some details, i may know a few designers who could be interested.

CeeLee

Variant- you and I seem to be in the same boat! I moved from the east coast to Portland, OR for a job last year and was laid off during a period of restaffing. I like the culture in Portland but I'd prefer to live somewhere with more sun. The gloomy winters and chilly summers here aren't where I want to lay down roots.

I'd love to work at a design agency making consumer products. My background is largely retail displays with some consumer products and electronics. From what I've seen and heard, there's a huge need for UX designers at design agencies but ID positions aren't in demand now.

Is there much of an ID market in Austin? That's one of the cities I'm seriously considering but it doesn't look like there are many design agencies down there, and my ID friend who lives there went into web design.

cwatkinson

iab wrote:2 months and counting.

iab - im ave problems with my account. if you did pm me i got a email saying i had one but cant access - can you send me the info to chevis.watkinson@gapac.com

thanks.

bradfordagill

Have you considered San Diego? The design scene is growing here with things like Makers Quarter and The Design Lab at UCSD (where Don Norman heads the department). We just had a big event called DesignForwardSD where they released a nice directory/website of design-oriented organizations in the SD area. Maybe something to consider...

orrkwankit
step two
step two

Variant wrote:
bradfordagill wrote:Have you considered San Diego? The design scene is growing here with things like Makers Quarter and The Design Lab at UCSD (where Don Norman heads the department). We just had a big event called DesignForwardSD where they released a nice directory/website of design-oriented organizations in the SD area. Maybe something to consider...

Yeah, it's come to be suggested a couple of times... thanks for putting it in the top of my brain. A lovely city. My only trepidation is the cost of living is pretty lofty there.

I'll def check out your suggestions. :D

Cost of Living in SD is pretty steep but cheaper than SF (if that means anything). I've been here almost 10 yrs as IDer. There seems to be more opportunities in other CA cities in comparison.
Attachments
the-home-buying-map-final-image-5a65.png

Go to the Next Page

Return to design employment