Close

Re: a lovely bit of plagiarism

Postby Hoodzy » October 12th, 2010, 6:37 pm

Hoodzy
step three
step three

It would technically be infringement of copyright.. given it has a design patent. Otherwise fair game.

It also says they must be substantially similar. I would need to do more research to find out what that exactly meant.
What I've heard is that once a certain percentage of the product is different it is no longer infringement of that patent??

Postby Hoodzy » October 14th, 2010, 4:22 pm

Hoodzy
step three
step three

Postby GEBS » October 15th, 2010, 10:02 pm

GEBS
step four
step four

joyride wrote:Im not going to lie, this type of thing happens to me all the time. My team's pride is consistently beat down by the 'suits' who only want what is already on the market. 'If it isnt out there, it must not be good enough' seems like the motto around here some days. In an effort to change this, we just keep throwing ideas at them and some have began to stick. Sounds like in the next few months we will be getting a few more departments to design for, so apparently our persistence is working. Regardless, it is pretty sad that some people think that it is ok to do things like that.

Make it exactly like this, BUT DIFFERENT!

Postby holtag » February 8th, 2011, 3:59 am

holtag
step four
step four

oh no's! it's spreading!

I just came across a Black and Decker product that has a somewhat similar 'vent' treatment: Image

The black sidepanels were non-existent in their product line-up before. So I'm guessing the designers were directly influenced by the powerwasher I started this thread with, which was directly copied from an Alienware design. Ah well, they must not have wanted to venture too far out of the box...

Postby chriscarter » February 8th, 2011, 4:50 am

chriscarter
step two
step two

Ah come off it, I doubt that Black and Decker has any connection to the PC case or the pressure washer. Vents like that are a pretty common styling feature - something to accent the durability and toughness of a product.

Postby holtag » February 8th, 2011, 6:09 am

holtag
step four
step four

connection? no. influenced by? maybe.

i just did a quick google image search on pressure washers and distinctive side panels with crossbracing/vents are not a common trait at all. so all i'm saying is that i'm noticing a similarity, and possibly a trend (if it starts showing up on more models/brands). or i might be reaching, also entirely possible. :D

Postby Mr-914 » February 8th, 2011, 8:36 am

Mr-914

holtag: I think this shows how much of a trend setter the Core77 boards have become. We are changing design!
Ray Jepson

"The key to success in this business is to find a boss who doesn't care." - Mike Rowe

Postby Cameron » February 8th, 2011, 9:49 am

Cameron
full self-realization
full self-realization

I do some work for a former Alienware guy, and he has a few of the original towers at his place. They are actually surprising nice in person. They look more like a classic streamlined appliance design than a tacky PC tower.
Cameron Nielsen
Personal Site / Coroflot / LinkedIn
"there is an inherent intelligence to beauty" - Dori Tunstall

Previous

Return to consumer products