1HDC 08.01 - Theft Proof Bicycles Discussion

going back to the ink spraying lock-

like yo, i don’t think there is any need to worry about accidental activation. there would probably be some collatoral damage to other bikes and the surrounding environment, but the chemistry of the ink could minimize the impact.

i do not think defeating the lock would be as simple as covering it with a plastic baggy. Firstly, the lock would be intertwined between multiple parts of the bicycle and a stationary object. Covering the lock would not be that easy. Secondly, the lock would still need to be cut, which would open up a hole in the bag for liquid to escape through. I’m sure there is a way around this, but I’m also sure there is a way to design a solution for that, as well.

what i like about this concept is that it fights back. most locks on the market and most (but not all) in the competition will only serve to deter the inexperienced and slow down the professionals. This one might make them think twice about whether the theft is worth it.

also, this was a 1 hour design competition so i wouldn’t expect it to be perfect. and it wasn’t even my entry, so i’ll let it be for now.