Position put on hold?

I recently interviewed for a position, only to hear back that the position had been put on hold. Has this happened to anyone? And from a hiring perspective what are some of the factors that lead to this?

I’m not completely in the dark about this, but I would like to hear some different perspectives before I decide what I “know”

Needs have changed and/or budget isn’t available. Simple as that.

Yeah, I’ve had this happen to me, twice. :open_mouth:

I’ve found that it is usually because of funding cutbacks (no money to pay salary) or they have run out of funds/time to interview anyone else. I could very well be wrong, but, that’s what I think.

Nothing is as gratifying and disappointing as " We love your stuff and would love to have you as part of our design team, but funding has just been cut, so we can’t afford to hire anyone. Thanks…" You just have to laugh about it and not take it personally. I hope that helps to answer your question. :smiley:

Many things could lead to this: Budget could have been put on hold, leadership might be reviewing business need for the position…

I just had this happen to one of my candidates. After his phone interview, the company wanted to see him and booked his plane ticket. I got an e-mail about a week before the interview saying the CFO told the hiring manager to put the position on hold. It seems a lot of companies are being really conservative right now because of the economy.

I just had this happen to one of my candidates. After his phone interview, the company wanted to see him and booked his plane ticket. I got an e-mail about a week before the interview saying the CFO told the hiring manager to put the position on hold. It seems a lot of companies are being really conservative right now because of the economy.

The US is in a recession whether the pundits want to say it or not.

Having gone through a few recessions, the first thing that stops is new hires.

Ah, indeed it is, but recession or no, it is still frustrating. It helps to stay positive, so at least I’m getting interviews, and It would seem that my previous work and potential are not in question, just my paycheck lol.

it happened to me during the last recession.

the first quarter is almost over, results are shaking out and people are getting very nervous.

by the end of the second quarter, you’re going to see a divergence in corporate design staffs: freeze on R&D or an increased investment in R&D.

hold onto your butts.

Well put KF Jesus.

Also one note during these times. If you are at an interview and the company says “We want to bring design in to save the company” this means the company has waited too long to bring in design and you will be lucky if they have enough money to survive for 6 months. Don’t let their ego building blind you. We can help companies to prosper but we are not professional defibrillators for companies.

“well put” to you as well, sir.

fact of the matter is there are many forces involved in hiring. overall company bottom line, investors (sometimes) stake, current/future project mix and scope, whims of CEOs, CFO, and HR… i’ve had this happen to myself and few times and have been on the other (Corporate) side as well. sucks for all parties (including the candidate, natch), to say the least.

R

I like the bit about the corporate defibulator, are there other clues in the interview that the company may be a sinking ship? As much as many young folks would probably like any design job, it seems like it would be very important right now to watch out for that.

And of course, its reassuring (even though it sucks) to know this happens to other people, its nice to be part of a group sometimes.

If you are entry level or only a few years out, the company has no designers and they tell you that you have the chance to “turn the company around”. RUN!

Remember that a job interview is both directions. Do some research on the company’s finances. In the interview ask them how financial stable are they? If they a) say great but your research says not or b) if they something like “we are in a temporary downturn but that is why we want you here”. RUN!

If they are hiring a designer and there are a lot of empty desks around. RUN!

How is that for a start/ Anyone want to add others, as I am sure we have people who have had experience with this.

this is an area where the potential employee is at a disadvantage; disclosure of real company performance and work environment during interview process. Any probing question is most likely to be met with a positive response.

About the only reasonable method of disclosure for a job seeker is to network. If said company continuously advertises and/or interviews lots of people, they’re fishing or have a revolving door hire/fire policy.

this recession is looking like a potential 1973 revisit, it’ll be tough for kids coming out of school not to take anything offered.

one up-side. with the crunch, i can’t remember a time in my 10+ years of designing when i have been given so much freedom to experiment.

maybe with the experience and knowledge my experiments are more plausible than when i was a bit green?

maybe it’s out of fear?

i’m holding my own.