1HDC 08.01 - Theft Proof Bike Submissions

Here is my submission (and my first post).

My friend did a radio piece on bike theft a while ago and he asked me to think up some stuff.

This isn’t a lock idea, but how about a small hidden GPS to track where your stolen bike ends up? It’s done with some high end cars now.
This might find a few other bikes and help with an arrest.
The downside is the price, hopefully they can be made more cheaply.

The Compo-Net is designed to keep your ENTIRE bike locked up. Most bike thefts aren’t of entire bikes but of PARTS that aren’t locked up properly. This metal mesh keeps the wheels, seat, handle bar, stem, pedals, and brakes safe behind lock and key.

Compo-Net comes in a pouch that can be easily carried with an existing lock. The net is removed from the pouch and stretched around the bike. The user’s existing U-lock is used to lock the frame to a secure point and threaded through the net. This keeps the net locked around the entire bike keeping it and its components safe from theft. :smiley:

The idea behind my concept is to have a device with a speaker and locking system that will prevent the bike pedals from turning. The device will attach to the bikes down tube and the other half will then be attached to one of the pedals. (This is illustrated by the green box on the bike) The cable will act as a relay conecting the two parts. As the cable is connected to the pedal part it will act as a lock in preventing the pedals from turning but also sound an alarm if a thief is to cut the link between the down tube part and the pedal part.

The device will come with a key chain receiver to turn on and turn off the device. That way one can remove the cable from the pedal.

The main goal was to keep it as simple as possible and yet make it loud enough to deter thiefs.

Just a tweek of the kryptonite lock but adjustable. Very similar to a childsafe cabinet lock!! The only problem would be fastening the bike to a secure object using the locks. I’m sure anyone could figure out a way to attach the lock to a normal bike rack.

Please consider this YouTube when designing:

I am just starting to prototype two fasteners that will make stealing bike parts much harder. I have yet to have a full bike stolen, but have had my wheels jacked several times; same experience from my friends (no bikes stolen, many wheels and seatposts/saddles stolen.)

The basic idea is to replace a common hex/bolt size/shape with a much less common one. Replace a 5mm hex with a 2mm button torx, etc.

I am creating a sleeve that fits into a hex bolt head, into which you screw a set screw with an uncommon wrench type (button torx, button hex, etc)

I am also creating a metal sleeve that fits over a regular bolt, into which a set screw has been tapped. Again, unusual set screw size.

The next step would be to make custom/unique set screw/wrench sets.

Michael Mandiberg
R&D Fellow
Eyebeam OpenLab

All work licensed CC-BY-SA

diagram_nut

nutlox_mold

This is a second try to get the images to post.

Michael
nutlox_mold_sm.jpg

Heres a second attempt… using the youtube from enigma as a bit of a starting point, this is where i got to… i dont think it would stop the angle grinder, but then what would… at least they wouldnt be able to ride away…

The locking mechanism would use a traditional key and encased within the tough kevlar spokes…

Kinl

My idea, called MagniLock, uses magnets to lock the bicycle, preventing any thieves from riding it away. Because it uses a magnetic field to prevent the wheels from turning, cutters and saws cannot break the lock. This is how it works:

One very strong magnet is permanently placed on the rim of the rear wheel. When the bike is “locked,” another magnet is attached to the rim of the front wheel. The magnets are positioned so that the opposite poles are facing eachother. Because the magnets are very strong, their attraction prevents the wheels from turning. A key is used to lock the front magnet into place. When the owner wants to “unlock” the bike, he/she takes the front magnet out of its holder and stores it on the the back magnet.

Here are diagrams demonstrating how MagniLock works. Hope you enjoy!:

ooo paranoia perhaps…

Here’s my submission:

Decided to forgo developing the idea further in favour of some work on the presentation.
There needs to be a way to lock the seat into the bike for when the bike is being used in a way that the ride height is the same and does not require adjusting every time.
Storage of the cable locks still needs to be addressed, but this is not a major issue.

hi guys, here’s my contribution

i got some adrenaline going, it was good fun

In my perception, if we are looking for solution which is flexible
and has versatile usability not dependent on any fixed structure in
the environment, then most simple locks do enough to protect the bike
from just being pushed away by someone.
So for a basic level of protection, a simple lock which can lock the
bike (the wheels with the body or to some fixed structure around) is
good enough.
Now to protect the bike from being picked up n carried away by
someone, a more technology dependent solution maybe better.
Like one of the members suggested that a device with GPS tracking
would be a good solution but the cost is high.
I suggest similar solutions which are more cost effective and easier
to implement.
One solution would be similar to the security system installed in
cars which starts sounding an alarm if someone tries to mess with the
car. The unit suggested by me for bicycles can be made using an
accelerometer or a gyroscope or a combination of both in a small
compact circuit and mounted on a waterproof device securely attached
with the bicycle. This would detect any motion of the bike after it
has been locked. If there is any motion on the bike caused by an
attempt to steal the bike, the device would detect it and transmit a
warning signal to a small key chain receiver kept with the owner.
The owner can check up on the bike if any such warning signal is
received.
Additionally the device can sound an alarm on the bike to startle the
thief and make general people around aware of the theft happening.
Additionally the device on the bike which transmits a warning signal
on being moved can be used to track down the bike in the same way as
wildlife conservationists track animals tagged with wireless
transmitters.
This device can be powered by battery which can be charged by wall
point chargers or by a small dynamo on the bike itself.
Once this device is activated, any attempt to steal or mess with the
bike is almost impossible to be undetected.
The device can be very affordable and compact.

Thought this article would be of interest, though not the type of solution this challenge is looking for.

A few months ago the " better bike lock" question got stuck in my head, and I thought about it every time I wandered past the hipster bikes in San Francisco’s Mission District. The standard bike lock just seemed like way too cumbersome of a solution. I wondered if you could get rid of all the accessories like the bike lock and pump by “double-purposing” a bike’s existing components. Here are some sketches.
You can see more here at ThinkSketch.Wordpress.com

Thanks for keeping the ideas flowing - Eric

The Bike Lock + Kickstand is designed to reduce the ability of a bike to be stolen and act as a theft deterrent. While the lock would not fix the bike to a certain location, it would however lock it in place, as the lock piece would be between the spokes and not allow the back wheel to rotate.

A secondary function of this solution is to act as a kickstand. When the user reaches his or her destination he/she gets of the bike, lowers kickstand, and if locking is desired, lower the piece between the spokes and lock it with a key.

My idea came about because I wanted to solve the problem of carrying a big lock. The problem is that bikes are light and one is able to carry it away even if it can’t be ridden. So this necessitates heavy duty locking. The workaround or solution I have is to make the locks a communally owned thing which you have access to by key. In other words, my idea is an RFID based locking infrastructure built city wide which you must subscribe to in order to cover the costs of running it (administration, and maintenance for example). You might have these posts throughout the city that have groves/depressions in the pavement beside them. You put your bike under a clamp (that is part of the lock) with its tires in the groves. Then the clamp is lowered onto your bike. (Sort of like those upright bike carriers for hithces) You swipe your card and it locks it in place. The clamp forces your bike down into the groves for your tires. The downforce and the groves/depression make it so thieves can’t steal your bike or your wheels even if they’re quick release. (They also keep your tires straight.) I’ve got a rough sketch but I’m too lazy to take a picture.

Cheers

The Shock Lock

My idea comes from having a locking mechanism within the bike itself. This enables that no moving parts can be stolen. All you have to do is turn a key to activate everything. I didn’t have photoshop or AutoCad handy so my diagram is very basic.

When you turn the key,

1. clamps lock on your brake lines
  2. As you continue to turn, the turning motion moves them away from their respected wheel, thus applying the ‘brakes’
  3. The turning motion also moves forth 2 rods, 1 towards the Seat, and the other towards the Handlebars and locks the Seat post to the Seat tube, and Stem to the Head tube respectively.
  • Thus locking all movable parts with 1 swift turn of the key.

In addition, inside the cylindrical key lock is a coil that turns the bike into lock mode by default. This makes it easier to lock, but slightly harder to unlock. But releasing tension in the brake lines is a lot easier than trying to create tension in them, so all in all you use less energy.