BFA + MBA

“…be more in control of the marketing strategies…”

So I would think you would want to focus on Marketing since a general MBA will only get you a few basic marketing courses. So think about Michigan, Northwestern/Kellogg - both MBA programs known for marketing. Other more focused options - but without as much MBA/Ivy status - are Integrated Marketing Communications or some British inspired programs (UK, Australia, etc.) that result in a Master of Science or Master of Marketing. (google) Rotman in Canada sounds like an interesting MBA program for someone with a design background, but I don’t know their marketing credentials.

Yeah, just take a sample GMAT test to see where you stand. Major schools publish avg. GMAT scores of accepted entrants. Keep in mind that if you are so inclined, months and years of study may significantly increase your score - that’s what you’ll be competing with at top tier schools. And of course the sample tests are indications only, actual scores will differ.

As for that status and connections thing, I too think it can be important - not only for outside perceptions, but for your own development. Do you want to be surrounded by students who are generally intelligent, curious, and hoping for some career/salary improvement (standard MBA program), or do you want to be surrounded by students (and some professors) who are brilliant, focused, confident, driven, connected, and expect no less than near-future leadership of the business world (top 10 MBA program)? Yes, throw in arrogant, annoying, and privileged as well - hard to get the positive without the negative!

And kudos to you for thinking of going straight to a business/marketing program - will be a more difficult path (fish out of water), but if “control of the marketing strategies” is really your goal, then an MBA or degree from a biz school will get you more credit in the business world/marketing HR than a design management degree from a school with the word “design,” “art,” or “creative” in it! (am I starting a fight?)

Finally, given your 2 years of experience, I don’t think there is any rush. I notice a huge difference between MBA students with 2yrs vs. 6yrs or so - you will be more focused, more critical, and better able to assess professors, choose your electives, network with a group of interest/experience, and apply learnings when you have more career experience. It can be the difference between maximizing a real world experience for yourself or having the school and your classmates push and pull you through random academic exercises.