1HDC v1.2 - eBook - Submissions

Its a small, compact and rugged device.
Allows ebook files to be veiwed and used easily with the use of the scroll button, page turning could be changed easily with directional button. can load up to thousands of books( imagine carrying that much)

My first attempt at this (first post ever, actually.) Had to join the fun.

“What’s that?”
“Oh, it’s my favorite.”

My concept allows the user to customize the book and really distinguish it as their own… Righties. Lefties. Professionals. Stay-at-home Moms. Artists. Type A. Type B. Make it your own!

The styli act as a mouse would on a computer, but with greater freedom and handwriting recognition… (choose from pen, pencil, chalk, ink, crayon, marker, etc.) It’s not so much about what the favorite comes pre-loaded with as it is what the user wants to do with it. Change the shells. ‘Write’ on it. Make notes. Thrumb through pages. Interact.

I foresee widgets and plug-ins that can be uploaded to your favorite and utilized and exported as well. (Ex: Cookbook layouts that user fills in and then print as their own.)

USB charged and synced. Headphone port. SDmemory port.

Straight-forward with a flair. Blend in or stand out. People are different, and so their favorite should reflect that.

Very simple, durable, pocket-sized appliance.

When I’m lying in bed at night reading, and I’ve got to get on a plane early the next morning, I don’t want to get out from under my warm covers, walk across the room, and put my book over with my luggage so I won’t forget it in the next day’s rush out the door. I want to be able to throw the book across the room, have it land somewhere near the bags, and collect it in the morning.

I want to be able to drop my book on the subway as I doze off on my commute home at night without worrying that it’s going to break. C’mon, books just don’t break.

As I thought about that, I recalled my old Sony sports walkman I had as a kid. A trusty go anywhere, do anything ROCK AND ROLL machine! This is just like that only more, you know, bookish. 4 buttons allow browsing in any orientation, roll-up rubber screen protector keeps the screen nice and scratch free, and of course bright YELLOW for that old school charm.

Anyway, best I could come up with in an hour (well, that hour anyway). . .

This idea is a tri-screen design with touch screens. Users can select the book they want to read from the cover, highlight and take notes by using the stylus. To turn the pages, users just simply touch the screen diagonally.

My concept is called flutter. It serves as a transitional platform which can help bring e-books out of a niche market and into the mainstream. It stores and “plays” digital e-books, MP3 audio books and uses the soon-to-be ubiquitous e-paper media as a sort of swappable display.

I would like to be optimistic as possible about electronic books. I feel that with the inevitable reduction in the cost of e-paper films, books and magazines could eventually be “published” on cheap e-paper films with built in memory. A compact e-paper reader could then provide the power and control to read it.

Consumers hate DRM when purchasing digital music. CDs, though obsolete as a media, put the power into the hands of the consumer to listen, rip, copy, sell, trade, borrow, etc.

Flutter delivers content in the same way: digitally through a physical media that can “replace” books while simultaneously allowing pure digital downloadable content (like kindle) to bubble up and gain acceptance.

I tried to make mine as realistic and functional as possible, especially with power concerns. That’s why I chose to use full color digital ink! Which has recently made waves and is EXTREMELY power efficient. :slight_smile:

(Here’s a link for the curious)

Ever since Sony came out with their first digital ink reader, I envisioned a product like this one. I would love so much to curl up on a couch and read a good book on my e-book reader and put it back into the shelf or into my satchel…

With this design I try to encourage children to read more. There is a big number of adults who read frequently before falling asleep. They read a book, put it down, turn the light off, then fall asleep.

Children, especially between the age of 4-8 still require their parents to leave their lights on. This e-book tries to encourage them to regard reading as part of their daily activity. Read a story/do an activity book before go to sleep, put the book down, and turn the light on.
As the light itself is their book, it reminds them for the daily habit of reading.
e-book for children2.jpg

This is a concept that takes the idea of of a virtual keyboard a step further. (http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/)

I was also inspired by a word processing program called Darkroom. The software eliminates all distractions by covering your screen with black and using brightly colored text to save you eyes when you need to type for a long time.

Using Bluetooth technology it should be possible for a device to project information directly from a pdf or other word file. The ideal time to use the VirtualE product would be at night as you would have a higher color contrast.

The thought leading towards my design was focused around intuition- why would someone want to read a static, non-changing and only on-screen medium? It’s almost prehistoric, sounds like something Moses was handed. Recalling the feeling of wanting to turn the page when eager to read more, I wanted to pass this ability and response on to the next generation of books.

Being around the size of your average paperback and featuring 2 slim (c. 5mm) “slabs” with a touch sensitive OLED screen on each side, the ebook is a book once again. With the ability to sense when you’ve turned a page, it changes the writing ready for you to read. Also in the event of you wanting to reread the last page, simply flick back.

The layout also allows for each page to be edited, or notes to be added- with the hinge system being semi-rigid it can sit like a small laptop and the lower screen turns into a keyboard.

Time- around 1 hour

I designed an e-book, or actually more of e-newspaper more than 2 years ago for a school project, so I thought I’d show it off :slight_smile: If this is against the rules of the design challenge to post earlier designs, just disqualify my entry :slight_smile:

Anyway, the device is shaped for one-hand use, hence the wavy shape and rubber surface for steady grip, can be used in both left and right hand easily in portrait mode. The landscape mode is for putting it down on the table while eating your cereal or whatever. Scroll with the scrollwheels, and some buttons.

I threw in 2 USB ports (I dont even remeber why 2 lol), 4in1 memory card reader, bluetooth, WiFi and a detachable keyboard. All the decisions were based on a focus group I worked with so It’s not just random “it has it all” design, it’s actually what they wanted.

You subscribe to the news and books utilizing RSS. If you’re interested in more images check RSS Reader by Nikita Golovlev at Coroflot.com

Again: apologize if this is violating any rules of the challenge, I just wanted to share some ideas.

Cheers.

basic idea: one page = lots of books, so, you get the “cover” of your new book, this is a “clearbook” an read it in this page, a “clearpage”. this way you´re able of trade, share and get books without loosing your clearpage.[/b]

the e-book of my dreams:

-small and compact (but not too small that you can’t read it)
-in accord with cradle-to-cradle design concepts