1HDC - Topic Suggestions

the challenge is to make a small evolution or a product which hides it´s evil side (funny side …)
clever ideas with a lot of room for surprise (where success and complete failure are very close)

NOT EASY

The problem with the last one was that on the whole it wasnt easy. Youve only got one hour and racking ure brain for 30minutes giving ureself a headache isnt fun.

914 had a good suggestion

Keep it to a specific catergory and a theme i.e:

( Hair Dryers ) (For amputees- the arm area)

Whilst the above to some may sound funny, on the serious note how do arm hand amputees use a hair dryer? That is open to loads of scope.

Whilst you could then throw in everynow and again some fantasy ones such as the

(Printers ) (In space)

If one competition takes roughly 2 weeks to run its course. 1 week to submit. 1 week to judge that means 2 a month.

Thefore plan the next 4 in advance.

so wk 1 (Printers) (Zero g) - Prize new pair of converse
wk2 (Hair dryers ) (for amputees) - Prize gdd hair straigtners
wk3 (Intrsument) (for muscians not carrying an instrument) - prize watch
Wk 4 (Home energy) (to let the home owner kow how green they are) - Prize lava lamp

That would then sort you out for 2 months, allowing plenty of prep for the next 2 months and thus keep the continuity of it going. Even the prizes arent ipods or wii’s im sure people will still enter, i personally would as its all about the challange and the notion of others picking the winning entry. that to me is more valuable than an ipod.

plenty of prep for the 1h design challenge :laughing:

green/sustainablity themes are good. Something that would influence/effect a large number of people is good. Fantasy stuff could be fun but not very productive or important. Don’t shy away from the hard stuff either.

aright, not shit cutlery… shit! do cutlery…
i destroyed that idea… lets make spoons… poop spoons!

What does everyone think about this:

Creating 1HDC as a 2 tiered event. Once a month have a larger, bigger picture Core77 sponsored gig. Just as the last 3 have been.

In between have 1 week long “Elbow Benders”. A 1 hour (30 minute?) sketch session. Pick a topic and style away. Nothing more than a bragging rights/practice session.

What say you?

sounds like a plan

Sounds good to me. I think it would be cool to focus on some simple, everyday objects, like writing implements, or shavers… something so simple, with so few parts, that it is deceptively difficult to design and bring something new to the genre.

sounds awesome…

sounds great, be goood to see what other people can bang out in a 1hour 30 sketch session

I have two ideas for 1 hr challenges:

1. Ebook reader (ha!)

2. Human being. I was watching a show on “intelligent design” and I thought…what would a designer do?

Yup.

what about that black oil from x-files…very minimalist design.

I’d like to see a 1HR Design Challenge for an Handheld Danger Detector. Something that warns you when you are in a dangerous area or something similiar.

cheers,

Dave

Nice idea, portable Spidey-sense :wink:

How about a hot subject like foldable/rollable screens? There’s so much applications for this.

Or, touch-screen navigation. It is so different from mouse/pointer navigation, yet most interfaces for touchscreen are designed as regular mouse interfaces. Not really product design though :wink:

I would have the same suggestion!

I think I suggested this before, but I will again. How about a 1HDC to replace that ugly Nascar “car of tommorow” God that thing is hideous! It was as though they said, “let’s make the ugly, tackiest, most red-neck sedan possible…and strap a wing on the back”.

Another car idea, although this could be applied to other products. I bought an issue of the Rodder’s Journal for the first time in a long time recently. It was so refreshing to see completely off the wall ideas developed to a high degree. I remember spending hours when I was in high school drawing stuff like this, and it would be fun to have an excuse to do so again:

I want one!

I like the sound of that. As an idea people could submit their school projects or professional projects as Elbow Bender topics. I’m not talking about getting other people to do your assignments, just getting additional brainpower behind some concepts that may never have crossed your mind.

whoevers project it is can submit the design brief, research and concepts that they have already done as referance for people entering the competition. Maybe people who enter the competitions can have preferance if they want their project to be an ‘elbow bender’.

For exampel my graduation project is a year long project to design a laptop with focus on ergonomics and sustainability. For the ideation stage it would be great to have fresh input.

I think the next one should also be form based. Would be cool if we all tried to take Kurt Solland’s job and designed some cool JBL speakers! :wink: