If I Knew Then What I Know (Advice to students)

“Go ahead and do it. It’s easier to ask forgiveness than it is to get permission”…Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper

i was lucky. learned some lessons from my first degree. hard ones as i was a top high school academic thrown in with top students from across the nation - and became average. then after when i went back to school. jobs were hard to find. even tho my resume was stellar. you learn humility fast in the real world. i’d learned.

but for many of my classmates, ego and arrogance were still hurdles. not just of themselves but of the profession. ID is no better than ANY other profession. develop some humility and keep the ego in check. respect others. you’ll learn so much more in the long run. and you’ll develop better relationships. as most here have realized, its usually Who you know that gets you in the door.

also. during my first degree, i learned something i remember to this day. class valedictorian lived across the hall. super brilliant guy. nationally ranked math whiz. the works. one day a pre-med stops in. needs help. now he was an EE. what did he know? what he knew was How to ask questions. i sat eavesdropping for about 1/2 hour. amazed. never encountered anything like it. he didnt know the answers but knew how to step the person through questions to get to the answer. that ability to ask questions goes well with ID. we are trained to question, but not to question Effectively. find someone who does it well and study them. it will do wonders.