Air Jordan XXIV concept

Thanks guys!

These critiques are really great. I actually anticipated most of these responses whie designing.

Bohrdom: I freelanced for JB for all of 2004. It was just conceptual sketching and my ideas came out on products like the AJ XXI, XXI PE and B 2’rue. I sketched on other projects as well, but nothing that ended up on shelves. It was definitely a great learning experience for me and a dream come true to work on this type of stuff.

Yes, I suppose I need to explain the advanced resin transfer molding a bit. I learned about this process while researching the development of the Comanche, which was supposed to be the best Military helicopter ever developed. After years and billions of dollars spent, the project was actually terminated, but some great things developed for it.

Advanced resin transfer molding is an epoxy impregnated fabric, so it is basically like carbon fiber in a 3D mold. The fiber lines the mold and is then injected with a resin that solidifies it. The strength/durometer can be fine-tuned based on the braid of the fabric. This process was used to replace parts on the comanche to reduce weight by 30% over carbon fiber. This is why you see this feature very prominent on the shoe. This chassis provides a single solution for breathability (at the heel), stability, and flexibility while remaining light weight. It serves as a heel counter, lateral stabilizer/support structure, shank AND the last of the shoe. It is curved at the side to cup the foot when making hard cuts and I put the anatomical foot map detail on it to call out it’s anatomical purposes. This ARTM process is also used for making golf clubs and intricately molded medical equipment.

As far as the fit mechanism, the idea was to have the shoe FEEL llke a sock, or not wearing a shoe really. So it hugs the foot, but is restrictive when needed. Now, I am no engineer, but this would require a LOT of studies on neccessary forces on the foot during play, etc. The winding spring inside the unit would determine the force applied during a relaxed or running state…but I could not get specific on it since it is only a concept. I wanted something that looked and functioned very simply, but was very technical underneath…much like an engine under the hood of a car. I added the compression sleeve over the top to protect everything, make the shoe sleeker/more aerodynamic and to make the foot feel supported. I chose to go with a zip-up construction since it has never been successfully used on an AJ…mostly because it looks cheesey…which is why I covered it up with a protective and flexible molded piece.

Hope this helps!

-TH