where is Interaction Design going?

Wow, I’m digging up a thread from the dead here huh?

Anyway, what mmjohns said above pretty much hits the nail on the head. I have a degree in Industrial Design, I have 2 years of “practical application” of Photoshop, Illustrator, and Quark Express skills. I have this “I can do Graphic and Web Design” kind of “can do” mentality, and I’ve thought of “switching over” by investing some time taking more classes in Interaction Design or Interactive Media. The problem I’m seeing, is what he was saying above. It used to be that you could have a basic grasp of HTML, javascript, and graphics programs and you were okay. What I’m seeing in reality is that mmjohns is right, the ideal would be to be a CS person with a graphic design sensibility, and a good intuitive design driven thought process.

Other then making archiac “pong like” animations in C++ back in HS in 1996, I have no programing experience what so ever. :frowning: I have thought about making “lemonade from lemons” and going to school part time while I look for a new job. I’m looking into different Interacive Media programs in Chicago right now, and I’m realizing that it’s the normal paradigm for college courses; there is no classes that JUST focus on specific programs, they fold the whole skill set in and work progressively through a cirriculm. On one hand, I feel like I’d be better off going part time to college, covering my ass for living expenses by taking loans, and quitting after a semester if I found a good Industrial Design job in that time frame. I would be doing this in the hopes that what I learned could be useful enough to pick up some basic freelance work in graphic and web design.

At the same time, if I started taking Interactive Media or Interaction Design courses and found it to be stimulating and interesting to me, I might continue to pursue them on a part time basis. I guess I need to determine how much effort and programing knowledge it really would take, considering that I have none at this point.