proportions

I gotta say, that perspective is pretty dead nuts on and the line quality is really tight in that sketch. (I ordered the book too)

When I do those 3/4’s, I usually start with a photo of a last as an underlay. It seems to work. If I don’t have a last, I just take a pick of a shoe that is a similar proportion, it might be cheating, but it works.

^^

and thats how the shoemaster software (developed by Clarks) works, (kind of).

First of all, you digitise your last and then you design directly onto it.

http://www.shoemaster.co.uk/
I had some training on this as a footwear student, that was years ago. But I’m about to undertake a freelance project with a company that uses it for orthopaedic footwear. I’ll let you know how Iget on.

Do any of you guys design directly onto vac forms out of interest? Some Factories I’v worked in love it because they can take the standard straight off your design without misinterpreting it

I’ve sketched on vac forms as well as tapped up lasts, especially for a tricky asymmetrical pattern, it can be hard to communicate it in 2d. With the tape up a pattern engineer can un-tape and flatten it to make the pattern as well.

Good stuff. Thanks a lot.

hey YO
How cool of you to link that page with your ideas/info. on perspective, etc. I know a lot of people really appreciate that. It’s nice to see someone sharing their knowledge and experience with their fellow peers.

cheers! :smiley:

Thanks B! I’ve been wanting to beef that section up with some more demo’s but I just haven’ had time…

hi!

Yeah proportions are so important.I think is the base.

When i was student the most important theme to learn in the 1st year was to get the best proportions drawing a lot of lasts.

And i know the Shoemaster program,when i was working for Pikolinos (spain) they used it,but just for pattern cutting,for design we used the typical markers.

regards from london.

Hey,
Could you put the link back on… reading through old threads…
Cheers
Bec.

Just go to Yo’s page → Tutorials->Proportions.

Not that hard …You can do it.

Thers is no frame where I can directly link you to.

B-art

Cheers :wink:

heres the direct link to Michael’s proportions tutorial.

http://michaeld2lo.spymac.com/Michael%20DiTullo/PROPORTIONS.html

R

what is the book in k.e’s post (bottom of page 1)???

I would really like to know.

Thanks

UPDATE, everything has been moved to michaelditullo.com

The proportions page is:
http://michaelditullo.com/Design/PROPORTIONS.html

any templates for a 3/4 front, 3/4 heel and top view out there? i usde existing pics as templates until i got it down, but i find it’s not as stylized as a sketch.

Find an online retailers website, one where you can rotate the shoe image. Rotate it to the angle you need then screengrab it and plonk it in photoshop. You can then trace it to make a template. Top views you can get on some other websites. Over the years I’ve built up quite a catalog of templates. I’ve also got quite a collection of ready-to-go traced zips, buckles etc.

I realize the old link didn’t work. New link http://michaelditullo.com/Design/PROPORTIONS.html

getting the full post in here:

One of the things I found toughest to understand when I started designing shoes was how much the most subtle change in proportion altered a concept. Boots, Basketball Shoes, Trainers, Running Shoes, Athletic Lifestyle Shoes, Flats, Pumps, Mary-janes all have very specific shapes. When you understand these shapes, you can subtly push them. When you don’t, you scratch your head and wonder why your shoe doesn’t look right.

Above are three simple proportions. The top one is a Basketball Shoe, but it could easily be a Hiking Boot if the collar was raised and the toe box thickened. The second is a Running Shoe, but it could easily be a Trainer with a little thickening. The bottom shoes a low profile athletic lifestyle silhouette.

Above you can see how a few simple lines make these proportions come to life. These designs are pretty conservative. But from here you can start to push new concepts. In order to break the rules, you first need to know why they exist in the first place.

bumping this one back to the top - are the proportions still on the site MD? Looking for the boot proportion sheet to start fresh.

Hey Jim, I sent you a note. I haven’t had a chance to reboot (no pun intended) the tutorial section of my site. Since I’ve pivoted over to making it a studio site I’m figuring out how to have congruence with the tutorials. I might just make it a blind link, but either way I want to redo them. I think I’ll switch them to videos for the most part as well.

Just read through this topic, I appreciate the notes and examples on shoe proportions. Personally heels are difficult to get right, especially the thinner minimal material designs. I imagine it’d get easier if I practice sketching feet more.

I’m also curious about the book photo at the bottom of page 1. That post is from 2006 though. Does anyone know the name of the book?