books on sketching skliz...?

I have tried opening the link for www.designsketching.com in safari, firefox and internet explorer and none of them work for some reason. Has anyone had any luck buying this book lately? I want to buy it now that I have the money to purchase it, but the link hasn’t worked for the past three weeks that I have tried it. I can’t find it on half.com, amazon, or barnes & noble. I would like a new copy so ebay is out of the question. Do any of you know what is going on with this website? Thanks in advance!

I have been wondering the same about the book on www.designsketching.com, as I also want to get a copy! Anyone know the deal with its availability?

I guess I never thought that the book might be sold out or on back order. The website would still work though. Please let us know.

We have some trouble with the web hosting the last few days and the webpage should be back within a day or two. Sorry about that.

edit: three weeks? sounds very strange. If you want one book you can always send apaypal payment of $55 (one soft cover book including shipping) to orders@designsketching.com without going through the webpage.

/Erik Olofsson

eRik,

Thanks so much for checking the forums. I really appreciate it! It just goes to show that you have great customer service. I will send you any email tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Eric

Some reviews on sketching books:

http://www.designertechniques.com/articles/booksreview1.htm

yo, first off thanks for the link. The one thing that kind of bugs me is all the sketching or drawing self improvement books are focused around the transportation industry. In my opinion there needs to be more development in other fields of industrial design sketching books like electonics, furniture, softgoods and exhibits to name a few. Sure automobiles are products and the books help with the theory of development and form, but I would love to see some more options to choose from. Every time I go into my local Borders a get upset with all the human form, perspective and landscape sketching instuction books. Maybe I should just take in what I can for now.

The design and presentation techniques book by Dick Powell is pretty balanced (though it features cars on the cover of course). I got it when I was 15 and it was my bible for years…

There are some hard to get Japanese books by the name of “industrial design workshop” that features a bunch of stuff, they are dated now, but still good reference.

Its hard to track down demo books, but other books often feature sketches like “The product book”

The china youth press also publishes a series of books on designers and design firms which feature a lot of sketches. I have the Yves Behar/Fuse Project one and it is pretty good…

Watson-Guptill does a similar series, I have the one of Frog Design which is decent.

Also the Syd Mead Studio Image series is great reference and I think totally worth it. I have 1-3

Also Alan Pipes has written a lot of design drawing books. I don’t have any of them but myself and a one of the guys from product design forums will be featured in the next one…

http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-3-Dimensional-Design-Alan-Pipes/dp/069713945X/sr=8-10/qid=1159070967/ref=sr_1_10/002-6525911-6242452?ie=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/Foundations-Art-Design-Alan-Pipes/dp/1856693759/sr=8-9/qid=1159070967/ref=sr_1_9/002-6525911-6242452?ie=UTF8&s=books

http://www.amazon.com/Introduction-Design-Alan-Pipes/dp/0131841068/sr=8-3/qid=1159070967/ref=pd_bbs_3/002-6525911-6242452?ie=UTF8&s=books

yo, thanks for all the great links. I’ll have to check out some of these books. My copy of “Design Sketching” arrived last yesterday in the mail. I only had a chance to flip through a couple pages before dinner. I liked what I saw so far. I can’t wait to sit down and read through it this weekend.

Thanks Erik for all your help!

Hi Erik, I tried to email 3 times and 1 got returned, the others weren’t replied to.

Are you still selling the book? I want to get 2 soft cover books.

thanks

Thanks

Is the 2nd edition of the book "“Rendering With Markers” by Ronald B. Kemnitzer the same as the first edition?

ISBN: 0823045323

thanks

J6Studios, I would imagine they are the same with some minor changes. New editions are usually updated with new information. Sorry I can’t help anymore.

Is there a book out there for Photoshop or Painter rendering? This would be a great book to produce right now with everything going digital. The least someone could do is put out a good book on Photoshop/Illustrator/Painter product rendering for design. I know of the gnomon workshop DVDs, but there is something about books that I just love!

If you are interested in learning some new design skills then you should take a look at www.designertechniques.com Yes, it is very automotive focused at the moment, but that is something we aim to look at this year. Be good to get some e mails from you guys and girls to let me know what you would like (the e mail address is on the site). I should point out too, that the site is completely free…

The site also features some good book reviews…with more to come…although i think this has been mentioned already.

It has also already been said, but my favorite at the moment for learning design sketching skills is Design Sketching ( www.designsketching.com)

I just bought this book (may be mentioned ?)
Was also in the Core77 blog

That is new and good and available! for 30 euros.
no connections.

Me bad, better read the thread

B-art

Now I got through the basic stuff I feel the need to narrow down the gap between me and some of the more advanced sketchers here on the board. My teacher referred to “Dick Powell, Presentation Techniques” and Alan Pipes in his book, here people go crazy about Design Sketching… Where would you put them on a scale from basic to advanced?
Some pencil rendering book/DVD would also be welcome…

The book from Dick Powell is indeed good (Presentation techniques), isbn 0-316-92143-3

at amazone at the moment. About 150 pages.
http://www.amazon.com/Presentation-Techniques-Dick-Powell/dp/0316912433

This weekend I got a German book on marker/presentation technique (Darstellungs technik) from Alexander Ott. isbn 3-8307-1293-6. from Stiebner verlag GmbH Munich Germany.
Covering basics, training sugestions,layout, color, tips from the real world, product, transportation, furniture. About 150 pages.

also at amazone.

B-art

B-art,

Is there an English translated version of the German book?

Did just look at the site of the publischer.

It does not seem that way. But I will ask them.

The green book I have has a different ISBN number on their site
ISBN 978-3-8307-1293-0

seems that it has als been updated in this version

http://www.stiebner.com/controller.php?cmd=detail&isbn=9783830713401&verlag=0&scroll=0&id=
ISBN 978-3-8307-1340-1

B-art

They did a quick reply

there is a russian and a japanese but unfortunately no english version published yet.
mit freundlichen Gruessen - best regards

Pierre Sick
Produktmanagement

So no Englisch. Japanees I can understand, but why russian?

B-art

B-art,

Thanks for following up. I might buy the German version anyways just to check it out. If it’s a good book then it should pretty much explain itself with the drawings. I have a friend who speaks a little German, maybe I can sit down with him and have it translated.