photoshop/ illustrator textures

I never tried that, but will give it a shot, sounds pretty sweet, thanks Skinny. This is what its about… designers… helping each other out… cats and dogs… living together…

Thanks boys!!! really appreciate the tips

Skinny, have u some examples of rendering with the envelope distort ?

Thx :wink:

Here is the process with text:

Here is the process with an IL made texture, you could also do it with a scanned texture:

You should be able to find creative things to do with this little tool, just experiment a little.
PS, if you want to add extra control points to the envelope distort, you have to actually go to the pen-+ tool, you can’t do it with the normal “ctrl held down on the normal pen tool” key command to add the point.

hot

that’s new to me, can’t wait to be back in the office and have fun.
thanks,
dd.

thanks skinny!

just scanned like a whole swatch book.

can’t wait to start playing around with it

cheers

JBo

ooh… that is nice… i had always found distortion tools to be sorta cheesy but i think it’s just cuz i never really saw them applied well. this is very cool.

Thanks for the input guys, these techniques are crazy effective. What would one do to start a material swatch library? I know scanning and collecting, but is there a more efficient way, downloading, ordering a swatch book etc.?

I’m searching for some vectorized textures for Illustrator (leather, foam, mesh, etc…), are library like that existing ? or somebody have few examples ?

Thx :wink:

In Illustrator cs2, you can bring in a scan and there is a vectorize tool in there. Not sure exactly what it’s called, I don’t have it, only seen someone else use it. But it’ll take a photograph and give you a vectorized version of it. I know it will do lines, don’t know for sure if it does a full color representation but I believe so.

It’s called Live trace. Pretty good tool but you have to play around with it to get the effect you’re after. It’s exactly like Streamline

Would this be a good size of a swatch to keep in a library?

here is a tutorial on how to make textures in photoshop, now you can make your own, take pictures and play with this process. play with the layer options to make them blend etc.

Envelope distort! Woot! ! I learned something new!

Note: to get it to work on a placed raster (bitmap) image in CS3, I had to “rasterize” it first. Whatever Adobe!

Can anyone point me in the direction of this tool on Illustrator CS4? Ive searched the internet and through Adobe help, and can’t find the ‘envelope tool’. Looks wild, excited to give it a try.

Hopefully they didn’t remove it in cs4. They have done that in the past with some very useful tools like arrows and meshes so it wouldn’t surprise me.
In CS2 it’s under “Object” and then Envelope or Distort about 3/4 down the menu, then you choose whether it’s “make with top object” or “make with mesh”.

Thank you for taking the time to post the instructions for the envelope distort process for texturing - found it, worked it out, happy to add these steps to my professional toolset.
Here’s the image I redid with some 1000D nylon and perforated leather I pulled from Google…

Thanks again, look forward to using this more.

great render. Did you just search for a 100D nylon texture in google images??

Nice! A link to that nylon texture would be a nice thank you :wink: