SCUOLA POLITECNICA di DESIGN in Milan ripped me off!!!

Hi…is the previous guest Saloni.
Very confusing with this new system of not registering.Pls login if a member.

Yes I have got into both Interiors and Industrial Design at both Domus and IED,Italy. I have also got into Loughborough and Salford. I heard Domus and IED are good schools as far as conceptualisation is concerned and am impressed with the array of companies which sponser projects.I am sure with such an environment NETWORKING is very much possible.

I am from India and have just passed out of Architecture n am freelancing.I am actually a bit confused about which school to join.

Ur views n suggestions could be of help.

Bye,
Hariesh.

I havnt been to IED.But they called me up for an interview twice.Pretty receptive ppl.Not like an earlier post which said they dont respond to mails quickly.I am not sure of the infrastructure. Do u have any idea?

Hariesh

These schools do not look so good. I visited the websites and they are really bad. IED and Domus are terrible and I could not even find gallery of work! SPD shows gallery of very poor work. I would like to go to school in Italy but what is the best school? Why do people waste time with these?

To Hareish,

I have been to IED in Vian Sciesa near the centre. Cool place and lots of hot women- really hot women students. The school is yellow and has a playground in the middle. It is pretty clean. The staff is great. Around the corner, there are lots of fashion houses ie Max Mara and others. I talked to a Korean Guy and said living for a month costs about 800-1000 E - everything. He said to book you stay early like 3 weeks before class so you can have time to look for accomodation. It is downtown so it will be expensive. Milan, is chaotic but fun, ugly but beautiful. Book your hotel right away from India. When in Malpensa, take the bus just infront of the airport- they come every 15 minutes. Take the Bus via Grand Central Station and take a taxi to your hotel if far away from the Central Station. Or go to Hotel Demo in viale Tonale just a block from the station. Make sure you don’t leave your bags laying around- keep an eye for pickpockets. Then go talk to your IED admin to set you up with accomodation.

Have you paid your fees? and do you have scholarship from IED?

Make sure you like the country first if you have no clue about Italy- then you are in for a surprise. So think about your decisions.
Have you paid your downpayment of 3000e so that they can give you a visa notice? Pay right away to get your visa on time. Italy is the best country in europe by far. The best cities are hours away by train ie Florence and Venice- even France and Swis are close.

Yes I agree their websites actually show very less work. But I know ppl over here who dream of getting into Domus. They say compared to univs in UK Domus and IED are more design based and more market oriented especislly with the kind of top class companies that aid students for their thesis.They consider it a good place for networking.Why dont u check out the various companies affiliated to the school in the website.I havnt seen any univ in UK which has such contacts with the field.Anyway just my opinion.

Looking forward to ur views.

Hariesh

Hi Heya,

I see that you have quite a good knowledge of the place.Have u studied over there?How is the education and facilities over there?Do students stay in the hostel or do they have to stay outside.And how are the job opportunities over there?

And Do you know any thing bout Domus.I have got into both Domus and IED.Ppl over here sasy domus is the best.But in this forum I have been getting different views.What are ur views on these 2 schools. Any…any knowledge on this would be helpful.

It would also be helpful if you could put me to someone who has done their ID in Domus or IED. Your experience could help me direct in the right directions.

And I havnt paid my 3000E enrolment fee yet.Just waiting to decide.

THank you, Looking forward to ur suggestions

Hariesh

Hi

Sorry did not login for the earlier msgs.Has become very confusing these days with who the GUESTS are.

ok bye,

Hariesh.

@ Hi,

when i contacted IED, they told me that their courses are run in Italian! You post that lectures are in English…Is that for sure? I will have to contact 'em again but now i am not sure if they even know what is going on there…

tahnx

Hey friend

Pls look into the prospectus and u’ll c that the masters course in ID is taught in English. Did u not follow this thread where ppl have said that they teachin English. Moreover they called me up twice, the first time to check my English proficiency.

I think you probably asked the wrong guy.
ok gud luck

Hariesh.

Hello, i’m from SPD staff. i just wanted to add some details to the story.
I can tell for sure who mr pissed off is and i regret to say, his situation is rather weird.
He contacted us on end of June 2003 and for a couple of months he exchanged email messages and phone calls almost twice a week.
The school checked his profile, degree and experience and that’s why he was rejected for the Master’s program and accepted into the Basic Design Course (product design foundations). contract was signed on August 20th, 2003. the Italian language assessment course - compulsory - started at the end of September, he confirmed that he had taken beginner courses in Italian one year before and at the moment he was speeding up with “intensive lessons”. The only day he came at SPD he was tested in order to check his level in Italian language so i really don’t know what he can judge…
As for the refund, our policy is that every year there is a deadline in order to withdrawal from the Master’s/Courses and getting a full refund. When norman enrolled, he was 100% aware the deadline had expired.

And let me also say that in italy like in every part of the world it’s not the school that issue the visa for study purposes; it’s the consulate and you need to be previously enrolled in a school/university.

Personally i don’t like personal attacks, threats (or even praises) to be used to portrait a general situation but that’s it and when it occurs, you’d better be informed, don’t you?
the courses here have just ended. This years our Master’s teachers were Denis Santachiara, Piero Lissoni, Aldo Cibic and Patricia Viel (Studio Citterio) among tha others. Ferruccio Laviani, Aldo Cibic, are SPD’s alumni. Some of this year’s students have already started collaborating with design firms like Matteo Thun, Studio Citterio, AlfaRomeo. We’re currently collaborating with the politecnico di milano for a master’s program in interior design; we’re honorary member of ADI (Industrial Design Association) and that the school - founded in 1954 - has won the Compasso d’Oro ADI award.

You may not appreciate italian design or may feel that the italian education system doesn’t fit you but these are names and facts which can say something in the world of projects and design education.

AND YES, norman is right, during the Christmas holidays we moved to a new building (just 2 km and a few tube stops away from the old norman’s insurance building). We’re now in a new district for art and design with Abitare magazine, contemporary art galleries and design studios. though norman and his avatars wants to raises problems from nothing, our 200 master’s student seemed to have rather appreciated the quality of the space

I’m absolutely available for any enquiry or comment about the way schools and students figure out design and design education. but please, norman, just stop sending me personal threads and insult at my mail.

rita

norman?

rita whoever you are,

Your deadline had passed when you accepted people. Therefore, you should not accept people. You kept pressuring them to pay and tell them it is OK because you know it is after the deadline and if they pay and will not get their visas the students will never get their money back. Very smart of you people. That’s why you have a deadline not to accept students anymore. As far as I am concerned, you threatened me with lawsuits because I quit the school- which was a piece of crap-and you offered me a spot for the next year so that I will not do anything to get my money back. I will continue to let future students know about your policies so that they will not attend your school SPD. The other schools in Italy are great such as IED or Domus- not your school. I only applied to the Basic program which was a prelude to the master. You don’t even know about your program. How great. All I want is my money back and since I did not have enough time to get my visa, therfore can not attend your school, I should get my money back.

Who is Rita?

Norman Hawley? the only north american Norman in Core’s folio???

This school SPD needs international students to survive and they will do anything to prop up their credentials and to get your money. I got scammed, and so will you. Beware future international students.

The school checked his profile, degree and experience and that’s why he was rejected for the Master’s program and accepted into the Basic Design Course (product design foundations).

SPD stock just went up.

Mr. Pissed Off just got:

Wow this is amazing. I am not an industrial design person but I would like to study fashion in Italy. I looked at Spd’s web and sounds like a lot of money. From what I read, I have to back PissedOff guy Norman. Spd accepted him after their deadline and they new. Why would Spd accept students after that date? Because if he paid, he will never get his money again. No matter what happens.

They Could have said to enroll the following year so Norman will have the time to get visa. And since he did not get visa, he should get the money back.

Way to go Pissed Off for challenging this school. I back you 100 percent.

I am the original Pissed Off guy and I also responded a couple of times to the staff at SPD whatever her name is Rita. Some people have been using my username to abuse the sytem. Anyways, if I can influence at least a single person not to attend IED, I have reached my goal. But then again, I hope the first posting that I wrote will influence many people. The people of SPD are decieiving and do not tell the truth. I fell into their game and I lost money. I was dumb. However I learned my lesson. But I hope future students will learn from my mistakes. There are better schools in Milan other than SPD that are genuine and honest and more reputable.

That is correct. The system is meant to smear and spread libel against universities, firms, and other designers.

Additionally, all other pissed off people need to cease and desist immediately in their utilizing “Pissed Off.”

“Pissed Off” is a registered trademark of the person formerly known as Norman and now known as “Pissed Off.”

\

• If you have any reason to be pissed off in the future, you must refrain from using “Pissed Off” or “Pissed Off” reserves the right to take legal action. “Pissed Off” also claims the alternative version of itself also known as “POed.”

If you are a malcontent individual we at “Pissed Off” suggest using the following alternatives: “peeved, unhappy, angry, down-right ticked, bright red, mad, livid, up-in-arms, beside myself, angry, fuming, really fuming, steamed,” and always a favorite “postal.”

BTW: Rita, you single? I just love a woman who knows how to screw people over.