Bicycle design

Agreed,it is very cool. but why is it cool?

Because it’s probably insanely stiff and light (and has some great bearings?) It looks great, but is that because it is flat black as compared to the rest of the carbon fiber offerings, or standard aluminum? It’s different, so is that why it is cool? Do we think it looks good because of the performance?

It’s a very “industrial” design. Straight edges. In contrast, a Ferrari is typically seen as sexy and attractive, much because it closely mimics the shapes and forms of the female human body. Let’s face it, there is a lot of meaning behind some of the shapes used on an old, classic Jaguar. Many yachts have silhouettes that were taken directly from nude models.

Maybe I’m not posing my question properly. I want to know WHY one shape is more attractive than another. If this crank was swoopy like a DA crank, but still matt black, would it still be cool? What if the weight of the crank was 800 grams as compared to around 450? Would it still be sexy then? I think a lot of what makes products desirable are their assets and functional elements. Ever notice how an LCD TV ALWAYS is in Innovation? ALWAYS!! They don’t discuss why the lines go the way they do, or talk much about the materials used in the casing. They go on and on in the description about it’s features. It’s features, along with a reasonably attractive casing, make it desirable.