When can I expect to start making decent money?

Believe it or not, starting salaries tend to be a bit lower in the more expensive cities… I know it makes no sense from a livability point of view, but every recent grad wants to go to SF and NY.

Corporate tends to pay better, so do jobs not in those competitive markets… but with one year of experience I would wait AT LEAST 12 more months. Most recent grads are very much still in training mode. I’m not sure anything I did went out the door without being modified in some way or heavily directed for my first 24 months. If you have a job where you have the opportunity to learn and do some good work, I’d pay those dues a little longer. It will pay off. In my first 10 years I more than quadrupled my entry level salary, and that was with staying at my first job for over 4 years. My recommendation is to focus on the work, this is the only time in your career when you won’t be managing designers, clients, or keeping executives happy. Those first few years are golden, even if they are filled with ramen noodles, late nights, and roommates.