Employment ads that want it all..

In 18 years in corporate roles I was never asked to do graphics. I had responsibility for graphics and packaging but never had to actually sit down and do it. And on my own for more years than that, every time I need graphics or a model I call a graphic designer or a modelmaker on the theory that those are distinct disciplines in their own right and deserve undivided attention.

If I wanted to hire an industrial designer I would want 3D to be their entire focus and the same for a graphic designer. I dont know how anyone can claim to be the expert these ads call for in 5 pieces of software without diluting their efforts substantially to the point where they arent an expert in anything.

If you focus on 3D and only 3D then you can claim some level of expertise but if your time in 3D has been diluted by thoroughly learning Illustrator or Photoshop that wouldnt be legitimate. Begs the question - How much of your ID time can you sacrifice and still call yourself an ID ?

Sad in a way. Being a talented “industrial design expert” is no longer sufficient. I suppose that may be in smaller companies but some of these ads are from companies I;m surprised would want ID diluted.