Transitioning from ID to UX / IxD

I pivoted, but was able to do so within a team that had both ID and UX as functions. My early background was in web design & development so I was rusty, but not completely new in that case.

You could consider a program like GA, although as a hiring manager I see a lot of GA portfolios that don’t come off very strong, they often come off as someone “Gave you the recipe” for a good portfolio, but it doesn’t mean you have the pallet to be a good chef.

I would consider trying your hand at it without any specific training, theres a lot of different skill areas where you can explore if you have a favor for one area or another. IE Information architecture, interaction design, prototyping, visual design, etc. There are very few unicorns out there who are great at everything, and figuring out where your strongest skills and preferences lie is a big part of it.

The good news is the tools are all very cheap and easy to get into, and almost all of them are cloud based so if you decide you don’t like it after a trial you aren’t out any money.