Machines v. Humans

iab: First, I disagree that the recent modernist trend didn’t trickle elsewhere. In fact, the most recent Ikea offerings are very modern. I see similar things in Wal-Mart.

Second, as Yo stated, there are multiple trends. I think one of the good things about our era is that there is more diversity than ever, it’s just not available everywhere at the same time.

My architectural background reminds me of the industrial / steam punk trend. That had been percolating for 15+ years on the internet and through some very specialized retailers. Now industrial styled lighting is in the big box stores.

Last, is the cultural influence. I think it’s not a coincidence that electronic dance music and Apple are popular at the same time. I think graphics have moved on, but maybe 5 years ago everything getting very simple. I think of Google’s flat design language and even MS metro. I think if I was more aware of fiction and TV, I could probably make some links to those, but alas I watch very little TV and seldom read fiction.