Newly Released Work (All Product Types)

Congrats Jim! Some real performance product!

Really nice stuff, Jim!
Must be fun testing these and working at Orvis. Gotta admit, I am a little jealous, being a little bit of a fisherman myself :wink:

Our second project with PRS Guitars just dropped. This was a fun product to develop - rock stars have their own vision for a VBL and corporate entities have their vision for cost effectiveness - we got to sit in the middle and help bring it all together. It didn’t hurt that we got to work with Mark Tremonti. I’m thrilled with the execution of the details. http://www.prsguitars.com/amplifiers/mt/mt_15/

Just in, this amp won Best of Show at this past weekend’s annual NAMM show. Awesome!

Nice, congrats Scott. That is a really fun category to work in!

I joined this project really late, so really can’t take much of the credit, but am still really excited to have played a tiny part in it’s journey in to the wild! The press went live this week ahead of New York Toy Fair, Iron Man Hero Vision AR.

Awesome! Congrats. I was just reading all about that, nice to know you worked on it.

Very cool, the lunchbox amp category has evolved in a very interesting way. Out of curiosity, what other project did you work on with PRS?

Hi AVClub - we contributed to a previously released Amp of theirs and are now kicking off a new project - expanding into a new category with them.

Nice work on the amp! That’s so cool that you got to work with them. I’ve always wondered if guitar brands design their own stuff or hire consultants. Working with a guitar brand is a big bucket list item for me.

Hi guys,

This one’s for you gamers out there!
I did the ID concept for a new Gaming speaker that launched today: the Logitech G560

Usually I focus more on our core business with keyboards and mice but when I found myself with some free time last year, I volunteered to “freelance” a little in the gaming department and conceptualized this speaker.
I just did the concept design for this and the team did a great job refining it and pushing it through product development stages.

Find more info on my website http://www.bengtbrummer.com/g560.

Really cool! I don’t game, but love the concept of the lights matching the screen. I remember there was a Philips TV with some sort of backlight behind the bezel that did this, but never saw it in real life and not sure how bleeding color works on a movie (when you typically want it black around the screen) vs. a more immersive gaming environment or passive computing one where this would enhance the atmosphere.

R

Thanks Richard.

My girlfriend rented a temporary apartment recently and it had one of of those older Phillips TVs with the ambient lighting.
I think for movies or watching the news, I really didn’t care or notice it much.
But one night we were watching a skiing/mountaineering documentary and it was surprisingly effective as it washed the walls in cool blue during the cold icy nights and started to warm the room when the sun came up. It was definitely immersive.

I am not much of a gamer myself ironically but that experience convinced me and I realized how much this is just about temperature and the emotional triggers and values we assign to color.

I said it on LinkedIn, but I’ll repeat it here for our c77 crew, congrats! You guys are doing some very nice work!

Nice work on those speakers! The LED ambilight is good for immersion but many people never turn it off - for anything else non-immersive like the news it looks cheap and a bit harsh. LEDs need good diffusers or cast indirect light to create a beautiful ambience, but these speakers do that pretty well!

The page with the 9 concept forms - is that sketchbook/ps or 3-D CAD?

Just PS sketches.
For presentations, I often just do frontview/sideview/topview elevations in Photoshop to explore different directions.
They are very quick to pump out and its easy for me to get into a rythm. For this project I did about 30.

For me CAD is just to elaborate and slow at an early stage and handsketches often don’t give me the right amount of dimensional guidance to consider the internal structure for a good idea about proportions. I always draw the PS concepts at 1:1 scale and use these renders for modelmaking as well.
The hand sketches in this image were actually done after PS rounds and before CAD.

One from the archives. I was going through some old sketchbooks this weekend and found some of my original drawings for the Polk Command bar which integrates full Amazon Alexa functionality into a sound bar. It was so fun to work with the team at Amazon and the Polk engineering team lead by Matt Lyons and Mark Werle on this. This product was unveiled at CES in January.

Really nice Michael!
That scalloped detail is really cool but I kinda would also have loved to see that surfaced protrusion you sketched :wink:

Thanks Bengt. In the end we went down rather than up for a simple reason, TV stand heights. Functionally you really only have 2" of safe zone to play with. The scoop also made for some nice light reflections from the LED ring (we ended up raising the ring a little less than 1mm)… but it also contained those reflections. A little bit of them is a nice aesthetic feature emphasizing when it is listening, but too much reflection under your TV viewing screen can be an annoyance, so the scoop nicely contains that. All of the final surfacing was done by Mark Werle, he did a fantastic job. The back I/O port also perfectly fits an Amazon FireStick… getting the fabric to wrap 360 degrees was a challenge with the factory. I went over to talk through construction methods and work out a bunch of the construction details.

I agree though, the surfacing on that raised one would have been really fun :smiley: … in the doodle some of that bulge is going up, and some is going back. I was thinking perhaps the bar could be shallow but have depth locally to accommodate the LED/mic array… but we ended up needing the depth for acoustic cabinet volume.

@themonet Great work! Are you sure the part was investment cast in the end, the article mentions that it didn’t work because of remaining core material so it had to be forged out of five parts. I am looking into investment casting a somewhat complex (though not nearly as complex as this part) cap and am wondering if there are specific limitations to the wax core. Can it be designed like any injection molded part or are there different limitations/possibilities. Also engineers mention that features like threadings cannot be investment cast because of low tolerances, how did you tackle that aspect.