FORM: 026 Speaker

I’m sorry I missed this when you posted it the first time. I meant to comment on it and then forgot.

Kudos for making this thing first off. Not only making a model, but making a functioning prototype.

Something you wouldn’t know if you have never worked on speakers is that deep slats are bad for sound. The waves bounce off those layers and start canceling or distorting each other, so those slats would need to be as thin as possible in the cone of interference from the driver. An acoustic engineer would want to make them about 1-2mm thick (like I said, ver thin) which owl make them look not very good, so then you would need to back them with scrim… not a level I would expect from a student. but I know you geek out o this stuff, so I thought you would like to know that.

A few examples of this in production products I’ve worked on:

Polk Camden Square. Notice how thin depth wise the lattice is, you especially want that in front of tweeters because the wavelengths are shorter. Not important in front of woofers, mid range drivers you could got a few mils deeper: https://www.polkaudio.com/products/camden-square

Polk N1. This bar didn’t have tweeters, but instead had an array of mid woofers, so we got away with more depth, probably about 5-6mm: https://www.polkaudio.com/products/n1-gaming-sound-bar

Lastly, doesn’t have slats, but a similar square form factor. Here we tough advantage of the huge size to have very directional left and right tweeter array (4 tweeters at various angles) then a giant upward facing woofer and mid range: Definitive Technology's Cube | Wireless Bluetooth Speaker - YouTube

OK, lastly, I’d like to see you align the visuals. The design is a cube with a triangle lopped off. The fins have a radius on the ends. Make everything relate to that. Where the AC cord comes in can have more of this feel, at least use the same rads on the part. The volume slider is a circle, I’d expect to turn a circle. If it was more of a triangular thing it would have visually said “slide me” more. Also, I could see some LEDs behind those slats to show volume level or mode or something?

Lots of notes, sorry to nitpick, but I worked on speakers almost exclusively for 6 years. Still a strong project as it.