Doodling

Starting off the week with a quick ones. Studio is getting busy, so not as much time as I’d like to sketch for fund these days…

R

new sketchbook… had to get something on the first page…

a little photoshop chop-shop fun for last week’s sketch wars :slight_smile:

a couple of random warm ups

a little something for my friend’s 64th birthday :slight_smile:

Some Sunday morning sketching and reading.

Where my doodlers at?

Quick Take 75

there was a fun challenge on the main page the other day to do a modern version of this vintage Tucker truck concept:

I hd to throw one down. Anyone else up for it?

I was reading that Subaru had it highest sales year ever in 2017. This week I’m in Portland and I think they sold most of them here!

Funny. I was just thinking about Subaru the other day. There’s one I always walk by in the hood.

It’s amazing to me how bland and boring the cars are and how much the brand has totally been watered down. The grille alone just smacks of design by committee. Old school Outbacks and WRX Imprezzas were pretty unique and seemed to have a very distinct brand vibe. Now Outback is just a bland, ugly wagon of some sort, and the WRX looks like a Honda with even more junk glued on than Hondas normally come with (and that’s a lot).

Hopefully someone will lead Suburu design out of mediocrity and into their own direction like KIA has done.

R

The Subarus of the early 90’s (that a lot of people loved) were designed by Peter Stevens… who is Peter Stevens? Never heard go him? … Well, he is the guy that designed the McLaren F1… yup, the guy the designed the McLaren F1 also designed the Subaru Legacy and Impreza… that is some range. He also did the 80’s Lotus Esprit update and Elan. http://peterstevensdesign.co.uk a fun guy to follow on facebook, he posts a lot of auto design process insight and analysis.

Yup. Already follow on FB. Great insight.

R

Peter Stevens ran the design studio for a spell while I worked at Rivian Automotive around 2011 - 2012. Very nice and thoughtful guy. Working with those designers in the studio is what inspired me to pursue ID, hence why I’m here today! Definitely a legendary designer and I’m happy to see that people know his work!

Alfa Romeo Shooting Brake

@ yo I’d love to see a car sketch from you where the windshield is taller than 4" :mrgreen:

I think I’ll just use this topic for a sketch-a- day journey… here are some lame backpacks and a little bit of marker rendering on it. Saw a few tutorials (included the one that Molested Cow uploaded like 10 years ago lol) and I’m willing to dry up these copics and practice as much as I can. Does anyone have a good tutorial to watch? The Scott Robertson’s one was quite helpful…

I did one specifically on hand drawing backpacks back in 2016. I’m working on a digital version that will go live tomorrow.

Well… time to reach out your video Michael, didn’t see it when i was searching tutorials on youtube :confused:
I guess you’re talking about your tutorial tuesday! Correct me if i’m wrong but i think you’ll be using the sketch i mailed to you a few days ago :stuck_out_tongue:

Just saw it yo, nice and concrete about using simple methods to pop up a skecth! Guess im searching something more technical, like how to blend colours, some insights about starting with light values first and then do another pass when ink still wet or just go to a darker value (this is a little bit of what Scott Robertson does on his tutorial). IDK maybe i need to practice a lot and then answers will come up :laughing: